For Those That Fish Wylie....And Love Skiers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jul 29, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    http://www.heraldonline.com/opinions/vop/story/85263.html

I found this piece from the opinion page of the Rock Hill Herald hilarious. I think I may be the cause for this, because it sounds like I showed this guy that he and his wife were #1 in my mind a couple of weeks back.

Here is what it reads:

Fishermen must share the lake

Somebody needs to tell the fishermen on Lake Wylie that the lake was not formed for their use. It was formed as a recreation area for pleasure boaters! Many of these fishermen evidently expect pleasure boaters to give them a wide berth. Hey, if you can't stand the wake, just get off the lake!

If there were a law against buzzing or passing close to a fisherman, then there would be water police. You get a pretty big wake when pulling a skier, so go cry on someone else's shoulder or go fish in another body of water.

I hope that pleasure boaters will just ignore these fishermen and their obscene gestures, and let them ride the waves or stay home.

C. Miller

Rock Hill

Ok, there is proof that dumb people do exist and they do operate boats.

BTW, if you would like to respond to this editorial, you do so by directing your comments to the editor at:

Rock Hill Herald / Voice of the People
    Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 11707
    Rock Hill, SC 29731

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i read that earlier this morning and got a good laugh out of it myself,theres a building down on bull street in columbia with a room that this guy needs to be in,he wouldnt have to worry about any fishermen there:big_smile:

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man what a jerk. The lake wasn't built for them either. It was built to make electricity. The skiers aren't the worst for me anyway it's the dern bass fishermen. But I won't get into that. Thanks for posting that.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Perhaps the "Skier" is really a fisherman and did this "Tongue in Cheek""?:big_smile::smile2:Or maybe he is of the same "family" as the guy that hollered and fingered me for coming to close to his tow rope in the Diversion Canal at Santee.They only way I could have gotton any further away would have been to PORTAGE around it.Can you Imagine with 180,000 acres this guy is water skiing in the canal which off course was full of fishing boats.:eek:oooh:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Unfortunately there's no end to the ignorance and stupidity in the world, and some people are just too quick to share there's with the rest of us.

Where to begin, where to begin? I can't even start. Every word of every sentence that this idiot wrote was wrong!

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Even though I've water skied and jetskied, I haven't forgotten that a little bit of respect goes a long way on the water.

I couldnt tell you which was worse where we live, the water ski folks or the jet ski folks. seems like both groups of people have to come right to where we are fishing in order to play. We can be fishing off a point on the lake, and there isn't a ripple anywhere to be seen..... yet the waterskiers and jetskiers all have to come buzz us everytime they see us. Even worse, they'll come to where we are fishing and make repeated passes and make that their primary spot to ride and ski. Why? There's miles of open water next to us, and they have to run 30 yards from us. It really gets irritating. Don't get me wrong, I have done both sports. But the days of me putting up with jetskiers using my jugs for an obstacle course are over. I'm a little tired of it.:angry:

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Maby they should print the US COAST GUARD's rules of the road for those "Pleasure Boaters" to read. When we are fishing we are the vessel being overtaken and have the right of way. There is also something printed in the rules of the road that you are responsible for your wake. Meaning if damage is caused by it, and also controling it as to not harm others.
    I have said this before, I have to have a license to drive a car, You should have to have a licnese to drive a boat, or get registration.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Just another guy with more money than sense. Well, I saw poetic justice this Sunday when a jerk buzzed me and slipped inside the shallow water marker. Normally, he would be ok but the lake is about 5 feet low and his lower unit on that fancy ski ride made a nauseating grinding noise as it ground to a halt right in front of Ebeneezer Park. Too bad I thought, but at least the boating industry is gonna be in a job keeping stupid jerks like him in 40 thousand dollar boats to tear to pieces.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sometimes a beatdown is in order and I beleive he may need one. Just my opinion on it.

10. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Boy they do exist!!! Idiots that is. Little do they know the lake was formed for them to have power at night so they can set down and write a stuid letter like that to abunch of people who don't care about their opinion anyway.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm sticking to the beatdown idea. :big_smile:

12. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try fishing in the Cherry Grove inlet sometime. Jet skiers & pleasure boaters don't have a clue about boating regulations. Of course there's some fisherman in that group too. Back in late June or early July North Myrtle Beach handed out over 500 warning tickets in one weekend. Mostly jetskiers, boaters, golf carts & some bicycles on sidewalks. Traffic tickets and regular $$ dnr tickets not included.