For those Curious about the Berkeley GlowSticks at nite...

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by SubnetZero, Aug 17, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Some here like em, some don't ...
    I've seen alot of questions about em, so Last nite I snapped a couple pics while I was fishing..

You do see em better in person than the pics, but you can kinda get an idea...

One is with the flash on, the other is off ... Middle rod is a Big Game...

Attached Files:

2. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    time i think that glow sticks at night is the way to go. i've cought my best using glow sticks.

3. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I agree, glowsticks have been a life saver for me fishing at night. I like the glowsticks that snap right on to your rod tip.

4. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use glow sticks on my bobber at night

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    hehe, Guess I should have made the Title Berkely Glowsticks,
    This was to show the GlowStick RODS at nite ....

6. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    great post! thank ive always wondered about the glow stick idea!

7. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I prefer a little bell. Even with glow sticks or glow rods you can be looking elswhere when you get a bite. My ears are always open so my eyes don't need to be.

8. kacal

kacal New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have found that if you dont have them on the pole then use the BUG CATCHER= lantern but i have found that @ Wally-World i do not buy the Glow Stick's in the fishing DEPT. i go into the card's and party section's and get them 8" glow stick that you can make in to bracelet or necklace these or only 80 cent's for 2 and put on tip of pole .......:crazy:

9. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey guys
    I do like my glowstick. Especially the action. I have caught flats up to 40lb with it and when the sun comes up I switch to channel cats and it works great there also. Very versitle. As far as the light goes my wife and I fish for flats with 4 rods. If you used two glowsticks you probably wouldnt need any more light to see the remaining two rods. If you use three glowsticks at night u bess be wearing sunglassess.
    Danny J

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks, i've wondered about them myself.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    This topic has come up a lot but I'll throw my two cents in again. I own three of the Berkley Glowsticks in the 9" med./hev. action. I use these rods a good bit. I feel for the price (around $35.00) they are a good rod. Certainly not built as well as more pricy rods but still not bad for the money. They light up well enough to be seen but the main problem is the location of the two bulbs. One is located above the handle and the other is located where the the two rod pieces join together. I would prefer to eliminate the bulb above the handle and move it to the rod tip. That being said I'm sure it's a cost factor as to why the bulbs are located where they are. I hope that a manufacturer comes out with a similar rod with the tip that lights up and we are talking business!

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That doesn't very impressive to me. If I had rod that was supposed to light up I'd want the thing to actually light up.

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Sweet! I hve been using bells most of my life. The only problem is that they break easy, or fly off into the drink. I have been thinking about using glowsticks, or reflective tape, or glow in the dark paint. I love that color blue!

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I should have mentioned, those pics were taken with last years batteries still in them.. I've since changed them and the rods are ALOT brighter.. When Im bank fishing, I can sit on the bank with the rods on and no other light needed. I like little light when Im flathead hunting. When I get a fish on, I just click on my headlamp if needed.. The tips DO NOT light up as mentioned. You do see movement of the lights if you get a tap that bounces the rod, but I mainly use my clickers for bite detection.. Like I say, some people like these rods and some don't.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    great ideal about the party section glow stick:cool2:

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    whatever happened to just watching the tip of your pole, a latern, or a black light??? I have ECAT rods, which are black rods, spool them with flourescent green line, have a blacklight mounted on the back of my boat...I can see my rods perfect..The blacklight makes that line glow like you wouldnt believe...If you have never tried this, you should. once you do you probably wont ever go back to what you were using

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I have a BlackLight for when Im on the boat. I run it off my access. Batt. Your right, line looks like the size of a pencil going into the water :smile2:

For bank fishing, I dont have a portable blacklight :confused2: though and I try to get light when im on the bank as walking with the gear I have now can be a pain when your also toteing a 5gal bucket of water and bait :wink:

18. hunter 327

hunter 327 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have a 8 FT rod med/hev . The rod is pretty good ,but the glow of the rod is not as good as it should be, so I wouldn't by one again.

19. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't think I would like them much. Thanks for sharing!!

20. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    The best set up for nite fishing I have found is the nite stalker by Maine Wolf Products. I like there products even better than my glostick and it will fit on any rod. Gene is also one of our BOC sponsers. I was not real impressed with a blacklite. Just my opinion. I wouldnt be without the nite stalkers for nite fishing. Cant imagine anyone not liking them. I have original batteries in a couple that have lasted almost a year and a half.
    Danny j