For The Snake Lovers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The Gaboon Vipers are found in Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone, South Africa coastal forests and savannas of sub-Saharan Africa from Guinea to South Africa.
    The Gaboon viper is a venomous snake with the longest fangs of any snake in the world, reaching up to 2 inches long. It is a heavy bodied, land-dwelling snake with very distinctive coloring. Its body is heavily patterned in tans and browns. The top of its head is tan and has a narrow brown stripe down the middle, resembling a fallen leaf and making it perfectly camouflaged in its native environment. Its fanciful colors are disruptive, and the snake quite literally vanishes among debris on the forest floor, dappled with light and shadow.
    Males and females have small differences in the size and shape of their tails.
    They eat large rodents, ground birds, and even small species of antelope.
    The Vipers head measured 5 inches across.

Length: Male/Female 2.75-6ft
    Weight: Birth 2oz

The Gaboon viper is a solitary animal. It is typically lethargic and relatively placid. It will often warn with a series of hisses before striking, if it has time. Once agitated, the Gaboon viper can strike extremely fast. Its venom is highly toxic, destroying the blood's ability to clot and causing severe muscle and nerve damage.

Adult males of 36 inches and females of 48 inches are sexually mature. Up to 60 young are born, although the average litter seldom exceeds 24. The newborns are normally 10 to 12 inches in length, patterned, and colored like the adults.

Gestation Period:12Months

Chech out these pics.

:misdoubt: :confuse: :tire: :baffle:

:cat:

2. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    More pics of the Gaboon Viper.

3. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great photos Ernest,awesome looking snake...

4. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    i'd hate to come across one of those bad boys

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They also have the longest fangs of all venomous snakes.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks, those are beautiful snakes. I love the Gaboon's, however I believe that last pic may be a close relative call the Rhinoceros viper. Not positive though.

Eric

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    It is amazing how much people believe what they see and read the second pic is a reticulated python.Hey I dont care how you feelabout me owning a snake.ace I respect your opinion but it has to be based on facts dont judge please.every time you get in your car to get milk.You know what could happen.So here I go pissin people off.If you dont understand it leave it alone. Enough Is Enough

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ace Im gonna butt heads with you cause i dont own a gun because I dont know how I would handle it.But I do own a snake Because I hknow how totreat a snake I read more about iresponsible gun owners than snake owners LAY OFF cause its in your amendment you think you can kill thousands more people than I could even if I wanted to.But I will pay the price if Im wrong nobody else unlike....SAVE FOR A BETTER THREAD

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats not a python. I'm 110% sure of that.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here I go again, This thread is way over my head.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Another good example of how beautiful snakes can really be.

12. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Great post. Bitis gabonica, one of my favorite snakes. Fangs up to 2 in., longest of any snake. To me, they look like velvet.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Nope, not a python. :smile2:

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    make a GREAT lookin pair of boots!:cool2:

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Several years ago someone stole a Gaboon Viper from the Washington DC zoo. It bit thru the bag and they found the thief dead on a city bus. Thieves ain't the brightest stars in the sky!

16. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That thing gives me the willies!!

17. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    dang now i have to go watch some cartoons so i can go to bed with out thinking of one of them bad boys..i should have knowed better the look at some of aces pictures before bed.:lol:

18. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok have i missed something here or ya just trying to bash my buddy.where was it said that he didn't think you knowed how to handle your snake?

19. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Hey Terry I think your reading something in this tread that's not there.Where did I say any thing about you in the first place?

:angry_2:

20. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Hey Jason that sure is great looking mess of catfish you have in your avatar.good buddy.

:big_smile_2: