For The Old Timer's

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I know that you will enjoy this too!!!

What the heck is a fender skirt?

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS". A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed"

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fin! k." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux" Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore!

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Feel free to add some of your words. { Ace }

:big_smile_2:
    :look_down:
    :misdoubt:
    :happy:

:cat:

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Ace them fender skirts and continental kits sure looked good on a 58 chevy, didn't they?

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good post Ace i enjoyed it. How about lambast? When my mother in law got ticked at someone, she would say im going to lambast ya. A frig was called a ice box.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great post. I had a 57 ford fairlane with fender skirts and it had a steering wheel knob. Man was I cool. Hair slicked back with brilcream and I wore a white t shirt with one sleve rolled up to hold my pack of cigs. Blue jeans rolled up so the white scocks would show, Black healed shoes only.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Behoove , Drive-in picture show. WE still have one HEHE
    And you don't have to be 50 to know about all of those..
    Pete

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    do you remember,white bucks, lowering blocks,duck tails,LSMFT, turning your Collier up to look cool

7. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Because I knew what all those words were and still use them--does that make me smart or just OLD at(almost) 35?:roll_eyes: You guys aren't old, so I'll just say it makes me smart:big_smile:
    I don't threaten the kids with castor oil, but they sure know what I mean by a bar of soap.(that's probably child abuse now days, but I'm trying to raise em right) They also know what supper is. They'd probably get confused if I said "dinner".

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never had fender skirts on my 56 Ford Victora Fairlane hardtop.

All those are very familiar. :embarassed:

Any the old timers remember when a haircut was 4 bits? Or when stuff was priced for bits? :eek:oooh:

They just built a new Drive In picture show at Odessa/Midland, TX.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dayton, don't you think you should tell them what a bit is? lol

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    2 bits,4 bits,6bits a dollar.

11. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I remember those words. Do you remember "Burma Shave?" I had a Mercury with fender skirts and a steering knob. I was so cool!!!! Major highways were two (2) lane.

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used to own a 56 Ford Crown Vic with fender skirts and a continenal kit along with a chopped and channeled 57 Chevy with fender shirts, continenal kit and the traditional fuzzy dice hanging on the rear view mirrow. My first car was a 49 Ford with fender shirts, those things were really propular back then and came out on some cars streight from the factory. Anybody remember the Studabaker, the Henry J or Gerital tonic.

13. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Does anybody remember the car that had a record player in it????

Also, what was Sky King's airplane's name??

14. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    First car I owned was a 51 Studebaker Champion convertable...sweet. Neatest thing was the hill holder. You'd press in the clutch, push down the brake and take your foot off the brake and the car stayed right there. When you were ready to go, and lifted your foot from the clutch, it released the brake, was a nice feature. Another thing I remember was on my grandpa's 37 Buick, it was a sun shade just over the entire windshield on the outside about 6 inches or deep to keep the sun out of your eyes (no need for an inside visor)with a glass prism that was affixed to the inside of the windshield so you could see the 4 way stop/go lite that hung in the middle of the intersection. Drove it to Florida for vacation in 1947, that straight 8 sure did eat up the highway and the gas (about 8 mi/gal)...lol

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im not an old timer.. im 28, but i still use most of those words today.. Im a pure breed country boy... and my father groing up was my grandfather.. he taught me alot of the things i still know and use today.... I dont know a single person my age that knows that John Waynes real name was ( Marion Morrison ) or what the show "Hee Haw" was... And i say supper everyday it seems... I in a since know what you mean by saying some words and phrases are becoming lost through the years... My boy is 9 and he sometimes talks like me and it brings back the memorys of all the time i had spent with my grandfather..... So i guess i keep what he has taught and the way he spoke just to keep those memories alive..... but it works for me...

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hi tech 55 buick...remember the button on the floor that changed the radio station...LOL...the am radio station

17. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    remember reverberates on your rear seat speaker

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many of us were more familiar with the "BIT's"that went in a Mules or horse's mouth.There sure seemed to be more of that kind available.As for that fancy transportation.I remember being 17 years old and traveling down the road sitting in a McClellan saddle.I ain;t traveled in that kind of style since I went in the navy a couple of weeks later.peewee-williams

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Good thread. What about color tv? Now it's flat panel or plasma. I remember Daddy fussing when he tried to find a new black and white tv in the early 80's. It cost more than a color one and when it quit working he had to by color because that's all that was available. He said it was like watching cartoons to him.:big_smile:

st

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Greg, I was 17 years old before I saw a TV. And that was at Lackland AFB, San Antonia, TX.
    Our first color TV was a 25 inch that I put together in 68 while taking a correspondence course on CTV. It was included in the course but I had to pay for the cabinet.