For the old people

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jul 15, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I came across this the other day at the farm. I think I know what it's used for but not it's name, so any you old people remember what it's called? I say old but if any you young'uns have the answer that'll be fine. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Is it for carrying blocks of ice?

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    It was used to control a bull or horse. We called them a twitch.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would have guessed something to pick up Hot Metal like a horseshoe or something couldnt tell you what its called tho

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Give the man a cigar. He is right on the money here. :big_smile:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If Dale says thats what it is then I'm with him. LOL!

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We used them on the bulls nose. Dont remember a name.

8. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great answer,you win reps...LOL

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    What a nightmare it would be if my wife gets a hold of one of those! LMAO:lol:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a buddy that shoes horses and he keeps a pair of them with his tools. now I no what they are for I just never asked.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Down south we call it a "Bull Lead" The prongs go into a bovine nose to control it. The rope was to throw a hitch around the handles and use it as a lead.A "Twitch"is a sledgehammer handle with a rope or chain loop on the end.It is used to twist around a horses or mules upper lip and control it.A "Hog holder is a pipe with a cable loop out of the end and a handle and locking device on the other end of the pipe.You put it over the the hogs snout and jaws,pull tight and control the hog.A man with the knowledge and the grip can control a Bull and a horse with his fingers,if he uses them in the bulls nose and the horses lip sort of like the Lead and the twitch.You can also control a horse by taking the correct part of his ear in your teeth,if you have the grip.I have done and used all of the above.I no longer have the grip for any,be it jaws or hands.Maybe that is where it all went.All of the above are still available for sale new.peewee-williams

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    its a nose clamp, I have a stainless steel pair that I use on bulls and cows when holding their head still for dehorning or working around there head for any reason. Mine has a chain instead of a rope and they're not old, you can still buy them at any farm store. Any farmer on here should know what they are.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just remember, if you are considering using any of these items on any kind of animal, four legged or human, they only work for so long. Then the area they are applied to becomes numb, rendering them useless. So work fast fellas! lol

14. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Some of us young ones knew that one too. LOL I have never used one but I have seen them in fact I think I may have one in my attic.
    Stephen

15. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    fishhook you mentioned dehorning. Do you know where a guy could go to find some cow horns. My father use to get them and I would make some nice hunting horns out of them. Now I dont know where he would get them. I would like to make some more for the kids in the family. Thanks
    Stephen

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well most people have it almost right.
    But you use it on DH when its out of control. HEHE
    Yes will sure make a bull, Horse or other animal stand still.\

Pete

17. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I'm old but sorry do not know what it is for, glsd some of the others do.

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dale, you're on the money with that answer brother, but were not (OLD).....HU

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Yep I agree. Daddy called them nose pliers and we used them on cattle. The chain loop on a handle was used for horses and mules and we called them a nose twist.

ST

20. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gosh Dafin Like Just ststed above if the Wives see these we could All be in big Trouble Bad Boy Bad Boy! L.O.L. J.D.Straka