for the new Riverratts out there..

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by e'villeman, Nov 19, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Being new to the river myself i found out tons of stuff in the past posts that are invaluable to me.

1. Safety first ~ cant stress that enough it may only be 6ft but that current will drag you around like a rag doll, dont take chances!

2. if your boat fishing your gonna need (x2) the lenght at oppossed to the depth 20ft. of water your gonna need at least 40ft of rope! you gotta be able to get a real good lean on your anchor. kept wondering why i was drifting i knew the anchor hit the bottom?.. curent just kept dragging me down river.

3. If you have a depth finder watch it closly what may be 30+ feet a second ago may only be 3 feet now. Found the river may be wide but not very deep in parts (watch the bouys, they mark where the deep and shallow end is.

4. Barges ~ if you see a barge, move quickly they are moving alot faster than you can imagine. Its an optical illusion really their size masks their speed they are moving just as fast as your boat at full throttle and can be on ya in a hurry ~ keep a very sharp knife close in case you have to cut the anchor off. Its better to kiss an anchor good-bye than your whole boat and leave you swimming.

5. If your not going to anshor somewhere for the night WATCH THE TIME! Its getting darker much faster now and know how long it's going to take you to get make ~ driving blind in uncharted waters is not safe

6. Watch your fuel carefully! Outboard motors eat through gas real quick!
    I have a 6gal. tank and it seemed like I went through it fast! (note* gotta get another one)

7. When you cast out make sure your sinker hits bottom 1ft. 1 sec approx. so a 40hole may take 40-50 secs to reach the bottom (havent confirmed but that seems about right.

8. NEVER go alone at first, to much can happen way to quickly for safety reason always do the buddy system when ever you can ( cell phone on-board for emergency) and always let someone know where your going and when your coming back, sound silly but hey, that waters cold!

9. i always do a pre-trip check before going out (old truck driver here <--)
    the thing you left behind it exactly what you need when out there I.E.. sinkers, hooks, snacks, extra bulbs, extra batterys, more string etc. ~ make a little list to go through, do it enough and then it will be second nature to ya

10. and lastly for now HAVE FUN! if its work, its not worth it! Hope to see everyone out there! and practice C.P.R on the biguns! Catch, Picture, Release so our grandkids can enjoy the rivers later!

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    as for your anchor rope iv got at least 300 feet in my boat here is some thing to try i use a 25lb anchor then put a 2 to 3 feet of chain on it them your ropethat will keep the rose of the anchor down on the bottem an as for a 35 feet hole as hard as the water was running this weekend i was letting out at least 200 feet of ropean was still haven a hard time staying in one place

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with Bill. 2x's is not always enough, the Coast Guard recomends 7x's the amount of line for the depth you are fishing. So with winter approaching, I will by plying some 60-70 foot holes. I will play out at least 200 feet of line, but probably should be more. I have had 300 feet out on a 20 pound anchor in 25 feet of water and it wouldn't hold me down, and I fish a 14 foot boat.

Also, just a suggestion. I don't count my lines down. I find a spot I like on my depth finder, like a good ledge. then stick it in my GPS, or make a visual reference. Then Idle up stream a way (gotta let some line out so 100 yards is not too much usually). Drop anchor, get settled and then cast out. I let the lines go for a while. These is no thing as slack, the current will take your bait. So let it go for about 30 seconds and then just close bail. it will tighten up.

Good luck with the river! I know it can be intimidating, but once you start to figure things out, lookout. You won't want to fish lakes anymore!

4. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    WoW, still on that learning curve thanks for the in-put guys. figured if i got it wrong someone would come explain it better..:p
    Quote " i may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but i AM STILL a pencil in that box!, and i'm still looking for myself so if you see mecome by,tell me to wait here i'll be back shortly"

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    dont feel bad i still learn every time out i try an look at differt parts of the river every time out

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im still learning also, just bought a boat earlier this summer and plan on fishing the Ohio and Green rivers a lot next year. Right now Im concentrating on working on the boat and trailer to get it like I want it.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    roger be sure to get you a bilge pump also just incase you take on a little water so you can get it out quick....

8. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    have two pumps and a 5gal. bucket handy

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    coffee cans work real well also liver buckets ... dont think ive ever caught a fish on liver out of the ohio ...so just dump out the livers and then u can dump out the water.