for the love of catfishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dinger66, Nov 12, 2007.

1. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well let me start by saying i really feel at home here,and think i have a lot of people i could call friend. iam one of these people who think catfishing should be on the same level as bass fishing :crazy: iam sorry i said such a bad word . i talked to a friend of mine today you all know him as ken freeman to tell him congrates on the big fish caught in his tourney.the tourney was to be held her where i live in columbus miss ,but things happened to prevent it . we dont have hundered pounders here that have been caught ! but did have an 84 pound flat caught a few weeks ago . i guess what iam getting at is that if we as a group get behind the programs like cablea and bass pro we can take this sport our sport to the same level . people say anybody can catch catfish iam sure they can in a pay lake or in the family farm pound ,but to go out and catch a true trophy catfish just doesnt happen everyday . i like nothing better than cheering my wife or one of my daughters on fighting a fish .it is even better than catching it myself. love your family love the sport of catfishing and lets take it to the level it needs to be at !

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I actually think that is one of the things that the BOC does extremely well. The BOC, IMHumbleO, does take catfishing to another level. It is through the contributions of good members that the knowledge of catfishermen (and women) grows exponentially. It is amazing how much the word gets out and how much knowledge is contained on this site.

I know I personally am a far better catfishermen because of what I have learned on this site.

3. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Speaking as a total newbie when I first joined (and yes - I very much still am a newbie!), I gotta say I've learned so much from the people here about kitty-fishin'...

"I never thought it could be so complicated!" Had my son tell me that one night... and I gotta agree with him. Until I got into it, I never thought that it was a "thinking" game.

I think that's the mindset of pretty much everyone who isn't into the cats:
    "It can't be that complicated!" or "They eat anything, almost anyone can catch them", etc., etc...

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    thanks guys the fish in my avatar she caught and you would have thought she caught the world record i was so proud of her she brought it in all by herself

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm all for everyone fishing in whatever legal way they want; and if some folks like tournaments, I don't see anything wrong with that....unless it gets to the point where winning the 'contest' counts for more than catching the fish. Like B.A.S.S. tournaments; and even tournaments held by local clubs. I grew up bass fishing, not catfishing. After a number of years in Montana, California, and Florida, we moved back to Arkansas and I started bass fishing again. Catfishing too. I even joined a bass fishing club because I thought it would be a 'brotherhood' type of thing. Now I've seen some cutthroat poker games, but these tournaments were right up there with them. Fun didn't enter into it. I quit bass fishing completely and devoted almost all my fishing time to catfish. IMO, if we let commercialization of sport catfishing go to the extreme that it has with bass fishing, everybody's going to start thinking things like, "I need a $30,000 boat to compete. I need a 500hp motor to get me to my spot 27 seconds faster." And of course, you'd have to use the hooks, line, rods, & reels that are endorsed by some famous catfisherman. And the BOC? Well, you can go check the bass fishing sites to see what it would deteriorate to. As I said, this doesn't mean that tournaments are necessarily bad, but rather what you make of them. When the BOC has a 'tournament' at a gathering, it's not like a bass tournament, but more on the line of 3 or 4 guys going fishing and betting a round of drinks on who catches the first, most, or biggest fish.

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    there is a place for everything i dont want the sport of catfishing to be cutthroat,i just want the people to see that catfishing a trash fish sport . i like it the way it is a family thing ken freeman had one of his tournys won by by a man and woman that fished from the bank . as far as getting there faster sea ark already has that covered with there big daddy 24 foot 225 hp vmax.my whole post and idea is just to let people know you dont have to have a 30,000.00 dollar bass boat to fish and it can be done with the kids .it can be in a tournement at a local level or national level , i do both and my wife fishes with me and there are several husband and wife teams.you can see every kind of boat and person you want to see at one . like i said it is for the love of catfishing not the money .everthing has its place but how many people fish with a child or parent or who ever just because they saw it on tv and said that will be fun .i have hunted most of my life and never taken a throphy deer , have missed a couple . but my first word as a child was pish it is in my blood ,my daughter ask me to take them all the time and sometimes we do good and some time we dont but iam with them . last year at cableas two unknown guys won .it is just my love of the sport iam sorry if i sound like i was out to make it a money hungry monster. i just think catfishing is underrated and more peopl should know that it is more of a challange than bass fishing will ever be ! sorry if anyone thinks iam bashing well iam not ! again i say it is for the love of the sport if it is with a cane pole on the bank or in the nices fast rig on the water . i just want everyone to know here is something that will make someone life better just because they slowed down long enough to enjoy the flow of the water ,the feel of a strong tug on a line or the scream of a bait clicker or hear i can bait my own hook daddy.

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do know that it's brought me and my son closer together...

In fact, he thinks that I can't catch anything without him there. Sad part of it is, he's probably right.

True story: We went out about a week ago, stayed out about 5 hours. I didn't get a bite, he got two decent channels, even tho we were right next to each other. I went out by myself a couple of nights later, didn't get a bite for two hours. He called me on my cell, as soon as I answered, pole tip went down to the water - fast. I dropped the phone on the ground and yelled at him to hold on while I was dragging the fish in... Stayed out about three hours after that, never got another bite.

I get lots of abuse from him at home for that. But, it's all in good fun and it's given us something in common we can share.