for my wife .17 hmr or .38 sp

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by scooter079, Jan 10, 2009.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ok my wife has been wanting a .38 snubby so i was looking on the taurus web sight cause they are priced right and found a 17 hmr in the same models as the 38 so for a small framed women i know the recoul would be better with17 but do you think its enough of a bullet

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Depends on what she wants it for, Shooting at targets then go with the 17. For protection I would go for the 38 and see about getting a 357 the same size this would allow for 38 for plinking and 357 for protection.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    agreed. .357 is loud and has plunty of recoil and will take a home intruder down no problem, but you can also shoot the .38 special out of it. the .38 isnt quite as loud imo and it has less recoil.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    For the application,, I'd stay with the .38,, it might be a bit cheaper than a .357. even in the same gun model/frame etc.
    the .38 +P loads in 125 grn, will take the fight out of a lot of things..

Loud??? always use ear plugs,,,,,:crazy: :wink: , and earphones on top of those!!

I don't know anything about the .17,, but it sounds like it's for small bodied varmits..??

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Snagged, the 17 is a rimfire but uses a ballistic tip bullet. It is actually good for varmints up to and including the Coyote. I know several people who are using it for Turkey. Easy kill and meat loss is nothing with a head/neck shot or minimal with a body shot.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This should be a no brainer,Pick the 357,The .17 aint worth spit as far as self preservation,I wouldnt have a second thought,Go with the biggun,,like said before,shoot 38s for most practice,but also shoot enough of the higher powered 357s so she knows HER LIMITATIONS.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks Kip,,
    I've been tempted to "increase my knowledge on those" ,, but, never took the plunge..

Out here, only "shotguns, shooting shot" are legal for turkeys....???

Anyhow, the .17 I'm sure would be pleasant to shoot, and snipe critters with!! Sounds like a good combo with the bullet choice..

for the thread, and uses thereof, maybe the .38 would be the choice..though..

I'm the kind,,,well,,, get both,, and a .22!!:wink:

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wife and I have been shooting 357 and 38 SPL ever since I purchased a couple 357 Colt Pythons back about 40 years ago. I would load her 38 SPL for sometimes we might shoot up to 1000 rounds and they were easier on her hands. She would shoot 357 loads but preferred the 38 SPL for target practice.

But for carry, she has a small light weight Lady Smith 38 SPL.

Note: Not all 38 SPL pistols are recommended for shooting the heavier loaded +P loads. The Lady Smith can handle even the +P+ loads.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Federal Hydroshok .38 special .110 gr shot out of a .38 or .357, low shock and maximum damage. Made for self defense. Dont worry about yardage, most intruders will be within eye sight. :wink: That or a 10 gage.

10. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Can not think of a WORSE round than the .17 if it is for defense. I would much rather have a .22 even. But they are fun to plink or chase rats with.
    The .38 would win hands down.

11. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I'd go with the 38 or you could go with a .357 mag and have both.:smile2:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'd say the .357. for defense i would sload the .357's too, as in life or death situations recoil is not an issue. also, any gun is deafening inside the house. i heard a .30-30 in the house once a long time ago, didn't hear anything for a while....

13. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    Scooter If she is going to use it for protection get her the Taurus Judge if someone is trying to abduct her she won't worry about the recoil with #4's in it, she can't miss at close range, and with a face shot they will be reading brail for the rest of their life if'n they survive:cool2:

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When the US military initially subdued the Philippine Islands, the side arm issued was a 38. The problem was they would shout one of the guys jumping out of the bamboo with the .38 and it would kill them, but usually not before the machete cut their own heads off. The military went to the .45 caliber for its stopping power. So, if your wanting protection, go with a large caliber bullet. I wouldn't even want a .38, but something bigger. And, before the argument is made about a small person shooting the heavy calibered gun, they only need one shot with it, so recoil should not be that much of a problem. LOL Didn't the bleeding hearts get it so the police department couldn't even use the .45 for its armanent. Seems like they went to a .357, but then too many bodies were mangled so they had to go to a .38 special.

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    model 23 w/compensator Glock 40 S&W knock down of a 45, vel of a 9mm,
    It should fit a ladies hand fine!:wink:

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take the advice of these guys, this the .17 and .38 are not even in the same ballpark for self defense. Pick the .38.

And I also agree w/ the other comment, I'd much rather have a .22 LR than a .17 for personal defense.

For the safety of your wife, please don't even think twice about the .17 for personal protection.

17. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    My wife is a petite girly girl and she handles a 38 real well.

I advise to stay with a simple double action revolver
    or one of the hammerless versions.

Besides the obvious safety issues,
    I taught my wife that if she ever has to use it,
    the only thing she has to remember,
    is point it and pull the trigger.
    And keep shooting til she is out of shells.

Simple is best IMO.