For JD: We are what we eat:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 8, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    JD you were were curious why I quote Will rogers. He is just in my head now, there are others, like Twain, Ben Franklin, E.G. Poe, George Washington Carver, Abraham Lincoln, Keats, Kipling and on and on. Rogers is just at the forefront right now. These names and many others are a result of the way I was raised. I know, you are thinking, back to my Ma again. Don't mean to talk about my Ma so much but you asked and I am telling you young feller. I also don't mean to not talk about my Father. He was as much an influence on me as my Mother.

Dad was what I consider men to be. Seen, but not heard. I dislike loud mouthed men or men who have an opinion and know only half the facts. They grate on me like nails on a chalkboard. Dad was like an old volcano, rumble occasionally and be pretty quiet. He didn't drink or cuss, but Ma had a ways of making his top come off when it needed to. When it was necessary, just a coupla of well placed words and "Katie Bar The Door."

The big Boss was Ma. I will always remember her washing clothes, or cooking or doing chores or going to work. She must have found time for some recreation because she managed to conceive 5 of us. Her goal in life was to educate us. She stopped nurses training when she married Dad and Dad quit school after the eighth grade. None of that for us. Some of Ma's quotes.

"God gave you a brain, put something in it everyday and fill it up"
    "If you're not as educated as the next man they will run all over you"
    "Those grades better get better or I'll talk to your Dad" (didn't want that)
    "I just found the neatest book I want you to read it and tell me what you think"
    "If you can't interpret what you read you might as well use the pages for toilet paper"
    "Why are some smart people so dumb"

When she found time to read, she read. She read to us, she read to the dog, she read to herself. Ma never threw anything away she read. She didn't collect, she just never threw it away. Three weeks ago we finally cleaned out the old homestead farmhouse. What couldn't be sold at auction went into a large dumpster. The first 1/3 of that dumpster was Ma's books and magazines and periodicals. Life, Post, National Geographic. Cookbooks, Sewing books, Newspaper clippings, Poetry books, every textbook she could get from us from our college days. A son who was a Vet, a daughter who is a nurse, a son who graduated with an Art Degree, a son who is a teacher. She read them all and saved them. She loved to garden, God the gardening books we through out.

When we closed Ma's casket my sisters had the hardest time deciding which Bible to leave in Ma's hands. She had six of them, all thread worn, corners of pages creased, little notes from her Bible class stuck between pages, passages circled, underlined and highlighted. Of all the books she read, the Bible was what she read the most. They finally decided on the one most read but rarely picked up by Ma. It was her Mothers Bible and her Grandmothers before that. A lot of history written in the pages of that Bible. When Ma's God comes back to resurrect her, I can see her coming out of the ground now, waving that Bible and coming to look us up to see what we have read lately.

So yes JD I read a lot. I like Western, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Poetry, American History. I have and have had a lot of books. When I croak you can help Nancy throw them in the dumpster, there won't be many Bibles but there will some by L'Amour and Heinlein. So, we are what we eat, and we are also what we read.

John. Have a good day lad.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks, i enjoy reading ur posts everyday, and if u never put out a book of all of them before u croak maybe somebody on here will take them all & put them in a binder for u or print it for everyone to read!!!!

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    wow john, i didnt know you were so wise and all knowing. may your knowledge floweth over and run for many years to come. and may your feet not stink and your breath always be minty clean. :smile2:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    John I can certainly understand having lots of books around, but there's no way I could ever even think of keeping everything my wife and I read. A dumpster 1/3 full? We would be talking about 3 or 4 mobile homes parked out back just for the books. In addition to using the library, I buy almost all my books at a used book store, trading them back, except for the ones I bought on clearance. Several times a year, I give my brother a bag containing about half a bushel of books that I can't trade in. He reads them and passes them on. By the way, have you read any of Teddy Roosevelt's stuff about his time in the West? Pretty interesting, with no BS.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    J True if ya get a chance read a book called American Bears: Selections from Teddy Roosevelt's Life. Rinehart

His stuff in Brazil is amazing also.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sgt. thanks you for your comments, they do not go unnoticed. I'll have you know Sgt "SomethingsDraggin" Sir! You outrank me, outweigh me and can probably outspit me. I however Sgt. "SomethingsDraggin" Sir!, can outcuss you, outdrink you and hopefully outrun you in a Navy Minute. Drop your bombs, save me from mine enemies, polish your boots and roll those damn sleeves down, you think you are on vacation Sgt. "SomethingsDraggin" Sir!?

Like John Wayne said:
    "I stick to simple things. Love. Hate. No nuances. I stay away from psychoanalysts couch scenes. Couches are good for one thing."

I am as simple as that, even if I read books. You want complicated, go talk to some Navy guys, they can be hard to decipher.

John.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    john, you have seen many many things in your long and well lived life. it is my understanding that you were the first mate on Noah's Ark and were at the front of the pack when Moses parted the red sea. i am but a young buck, and you may indeed be able to outdrink me or outcuss me, but i will tell you i will be right beside you till the end. whether it be the end of the night, or till the end of time. and the only reason i have found it hard to decipher the Navy is because they speak in circles and their conversations a filled with stupidity and idiocracy. i relate better to simple people, mainly because they get to the point without taking the long way around. i am loud, outspoken, and ready to stand up for me friends, whether they are right or wrong or indiffrent. there are those that walk and talk softly and carry a big stick, but there are also those that walk and talk louder than the rest, but will run and hide when the stuff hits the fan. i am neither, i talk loud and swing hard when it comes to it. i wont back down from anything, no matter how bad the odds are stacked against me or my friends. so if you ever need anything john, just let me know. you may be older and wiser than me john, but it never hurts to have a big, ugly, mean Marine in your corner.

8. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Ole Wise One. You got me thinking yet again.

Books.. first memory you brought about with your "learned" list of famous Authors was one of loss.

I drove an old 1964 Dodge with push button gears back in college. It wasn't that I went to school that long ago, just that it was cheap transportation. For $300.00, I had a car that would go to the moon and back, despite it's rust in every crevice. The windshield wipers were good for ONE swipe. I could reset it by replacing the wipers in thier proper places, but had to exit the car to do so. I got by with waxing the windshield and not going far in the rain.
    The backseat wasn't for riders. The floorboard was rusted out. I had an old road sign on one side to keep the exhaust fumes from overcoming me. On the other side..well, I just never found a roadsign to fit that hole.
    Anyway. One day, after I got home, I found that I had lost my most expensive and new textbook through that hole in the floorboard. I literally cried. The loss of that book still hurts today.

The second thought your post has brought on was that of psychology. It took me taking that stupid class three times to get through it. I never failed it, just found it stupid.
    Sigmund Freud, the father of psychology, was an opiate addict. His number one and strongly founded roots of psychology was based on a boy named Hans. Freud never actually interviewed nor met Hans. All of his "wisdom" came through exchange of letters with Han's parents, and I'm sure the influence of his drugs. His credibility just went South with me. I'd rather have read the comics than take that class.
    Then, of course, you have the DSM III, IV, V, VI, XVIII or whatever they are on now. The "Bible" of psychiatric diagnosis. I'll bet if I had one, I could find a label for every single person I know.
    I'm sure that there is a lot of truth and help in psychiatry, just a lot of sheer crapolla too.

With those thoughts I'll leave you, my daily therapy waits.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It's all i can do to read and try to keep up with the posts on here:eek:oooh:, Where do ya'll find time to read a book:smile2:.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John ,I also am a reader ,I subscribe to at least five mags. and if I aint here ,or workin ,I'm reading ,my fav is the Lew an Charlie series found in F F G magazine . about two trappers and thier multiple adventures.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Joey, "big, ugly, mean, Marine" is redundant.
    Sincerely,
    "Doc", US Navy

:smile2:

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks john,

i really dont get tired of hearing about your mamma. (sorry, all mothers are "mamma" to me). i used to read all the time. mainly western's and the true short story classics. i have read the bible cover to cover once. but, it just confused the everliving daylights out of me. i think it is one of those thiongs that isnt meant to be read in any specific order. its funny you mention louie L. i actually have a huge collection of his. i used to read one of his paper backs about every 2 days. i especially like the way he can tie all of his main characters to one family, and that the leading female role is allways a beautiful woman. (5'4-red hair green eyes-or something along those lines.)

my all time favorite books is "the old man and the boy" and the sequel "the old mans boy grows older". the only book that i didnt read in its entirety was "the tale of 2 cities" for some reason it just didnt agree with me.

i wish i had the memory bank in my noggin in good enough shape to quote more of the intelligent things that i have heard or read. fortunately i decided a long time ago that i would rather enjoy life, than worry about it.

its a pretty uncanny ability that you have, ya know? to be able to type a few things with your nose, and make a whole catfishing community become entranced with your take on life. it certainly has affected me once or twice.

sorry i didnt read this sooner, there has been some crazy stuff going on, but ill post that a lil later.

j.d.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    "The Old Man and The Boy" has been my favorite since I first read it when it was serialized in Field & Stream magazine. "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" is also good, but like many sequels, it doesn't quite measure up to the first one. I've reread them every 2 or 3 years since I was in my mid-teens.