For God's Sake Re-Tie your leaders!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Nov 7, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its something that all of us have done at one point or another...I took out Drew (Angler4life) last night, we were sitting there when all of the sudden his rod absolutley got hammered. Probably peeled 50 yards of drag before Drew could even attempt to stop the fish. He and I both knew right away this was one of those once every 5 year fish...lol...Bumping fist mid fight, then drew mentioned he doesn't trust his leader since he hasn't re-tied it in months. This fish surfaced about 40 yards behind the boat, I knew this was probably gonna be close to a new boat record! Then it happened, that familiar feeling, that feeling of being kicked in the groin with spiked steel toe boots. :sad2:....GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Popped the leader right in the middle...:angry:..Would have loved to take a picture of that fish, even more would have loved to get Drew his first Monster Blue from the Ohio, but it didnt work out like that....Moral of the story, always be prepared, because you never know when the fish of a lifetime is going to pick you!:crazy:...You know its a good fish when your both shaking....The one that got away!....LMAO...:wink:

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thax for the reminder tbull but i think my 100lb leaders will be good next yr lol

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shame on him! LOL... He knows better! He watched me each evening when on our trip to the James check and retie each night each rod, and when he and his dad have met up to fish the Ohio River for flatheads I even helped them tie their rigs up before hitting the water that night! He knows the importance! I have let it be known.... Let this be a lesson learned to ya Drew, that things happen, but we take pride in our equipment and tackle for a reason! Would have liked to of read about a big blue today, but now I get to read this! Bet you will spend your time here on out preparing for the trip ahead of time! :wink: rollo

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Man, I hate that sinking stomach feeling that makes you sick to your stomach. Sorry your friend didn't get him. Maybe next time.

:cool2:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As if he didn't feel bad still today Travis, I called him and gave him an ass chewin!:smile2: Poor guy... LMAO! I would make him wash your boat to make it right with ya man! rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I knew you would give him a scolding Rollo! LMFAO!!!...As always though, I enjoyed fishing with Drew he is welcome on the boat anytime, but it will be a 20$ fine for any future busted leaders!:smile2::wink:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel bad for him and you, I know how lost fish especially big fish can take a while to get over, and you both will never forget ! :big_smile: He needed to do some explaining though!:smile2: He is like a son to me, and I had to poke him alittle. I'm sure he will get even with something with me this winter when I make it down!:smile2::smile2::roll_eyes: rollo

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well guys ! thats how we learn important lessons when we get a lil lazy! ive been there also

9. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    So did you guys boat any other fish?

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh dont worry travis. God only know how many nice fish Ive lost in the past year because I was too lazy to respool a couple of my rods with new mono that was stretched all to hell. Wouldnt get good hook sets and they spit the hooks from barely being hooked. Lost what probably wouldve been a fish of a lifetime at the boat back in late august and the sad thing is i STILL havent changed that line!

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    2 smaller flatheads and a freaking 16lb drum...lol Fish are still very scattered, and most of our bites were very very light. Pull down the rod about 6 inches and just drop it, happened all night. I cant wait till the water temps get into the low 40's....Miss the winter time blue bite..:roll_eyes:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good advise Travis. I hope he listens to you. Could of been his fish of a lifetime.

13. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    The girlfreind and I are heading out tomorrow south of Cincy. Hopefully the bites a little better.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I always run my fingers across my leader after running through snags or fighting a fish. But 70% of the time I have to retie a new leader anyways, oh how I love bank fishing. :smile2:

15. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i usually just let the river tell me when i should retie them , i'm the snag master.:smile2: if theres a log on the bottom i can find it and hook it:eek:oooh:

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    With you on that one man.
    Everyone else does great fishing because I'm too busy finding all of the snags the entire night.

17. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Yes he can!!!!! I broke a pole in half!!!!!!! From a dang snag with him... lol but its all good just no more cheap poles for me... but it was all good i still caught a 25lb flat

18. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tbull and Catfishrollo, you guys are dicks, lol. Both of you will screw something up one of these days and I'll be there to let you know about it:smile2:. I'll even create an entire conversation on the BOC about how bad you screwed up. No, it's alright now, lesson learned. Haha, I have though about it the past two nights while I've layed in bed. I'll get the next one; live and learn:wink:.

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Better warm up your finger tips because if you start a thread about all of my screw ups you will be typing for quite a while!:wink:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You will think about it many nights bro! And year after year! And won't forget!!!! I don't say that to discourage you, but we all come across certain situations sooner or later, that keeps us wondering! Your dad witnessed one night fishing a tourney with me. Ask him about it. I thought I had it all "right", but the fish decided different! That's the sport and the fun of it! Just gotta keep after em!:wink: Better luck next time man! But,,, we all gotta blame it one someone or something!:smile2: rollo

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009