For folks that fish flatheads with floats:

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Sep 4, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When fishing live bait under a float, what's the highest you have ever caught a flathead above the bottom?

What I mean is this - do you always set the float depth so the bait is down near the bottom, or sometimes is your bait up in mid water or even near the surface? Have you caught them up 10 feet off the bottom in 20 feet of water? Or 5 feet below the surface in 10 or 20 feet of water?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of the Flathead fishing that I do now is in an area that is only 15-20 feet deep, I always put one out on a float with no weight. This allows the bluegill to swim freely near the surface. Many times you can see the Flathead come up to the surface and swallow the bait. I fish my Bluegill about 4 foot under the float with no weight. I also put out a couple of baits on the bottom with a sinker. The two methods seem to work about even as far as catching Big Flatheads. I do enjoy watching the float at night with a glow stick in it, especially when a big one takes the float under and the glow stick slowly disappears into the depth and the clicker starts to talk to me......what a feeling!!!!!:big_smile:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Anatomically, the flathead's eyes are on the top of it's head. Using common sense, I figure the flatheads are made to lay on the bottom and look up to find thier prey. I yet, have caught a flathead on a float nor seen one hit a fish on the surface, but I'm sure they don't sit on the bottom all the time!

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I fish my floats unweighted and set so the bait can't quite get down into the structure. The reason I don't use a sinker is the bait seems to stay active alot longer without one, and I think it makes a more natural presentation. Sometimes when fishing like this the bait will swim right up to the bank, but I've seen many Flatheads come up and take them right off the bank.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    flatheads are alot like bass they feed in shallow and deep water ive caught many big flatheads close to the bank in less then 3 foot of water .

if i find a fallen log , tree get your bait close he will find it either on bottom or on a float

have caught many in standing timber around 20 foot deep around 5 foot down with a float .

and on limb lines in the same standing timber only a foot deep they will come up to eat it :wink:

im like catfish john i set some on bottom and float some rods to cover more water .

never be afriad to fish close to the bank they feed thier.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys. I have always fished on the bottom, and only given floats a couple of half-hearted tries. There are some areas on the Santee River where there's so much submerged wood, though, that you just cant' put a bait down and hav4e any hope of getting it back. Some of this stuff is in 20 or more feet of water and the wood extends 5 to 10 feet up off the bottom, so I wondered if it would be worth hanging a bait above the top of the cover.

Other question - any feeling about how current affects their location in the water column? Are they less likely to come up off bottom when there's a good current running? Do they come up off bottom equally in rivers and lakes? (Seems like it would be easier to fight the current laying on the bottom...)

7. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    The float method could be an explosive way to fish this spot. Sounds like an excellent opportunity to catch a Monster Flathead in that spot....Good Luck and PLEASE keep us Posted....Thanks:big_smile:

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    usin a float is pretty cool.ya see that bait goin crazy,then bam,it either dives,or just stops like the bait was hit with a brick,then decides to take off.it is a heartwarming experience :roll_eyes:

but,i got a method i use.i always put one pole out 5 feet,and set it three feet deep,or shallower,if need be.i have seen flats come shallow enough that their backs are out of the water to get food.

i have never so to say caught a fish fishing five feet deep in like say 20 feet of water.if there is structure on the bottom,i would be fishing by the structure or close to bank,one or the other.

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I have fished for Flatheads for many years. Most of my fishing was done in deep water. But my biggest ones have actually come from water less than 8' deep and my biggest one of 67.2 lbs was caught in 4' ....live bluegill on the bottom, near the bank at night. I have actually seen them in less than 2' of water at night as they search the flats for something to eat.:crazy: