For Dayton and Willard---Y'all probably know this one.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This was my Dad's. Somehow I believe part of it broke off, but I'm sure y'all know what it is, so I wanted to see if I was correct.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ain't Dayton nor Willard but I'm going to venture a guess anyway. It looks like a miner's lamp. We have one that belonged to Alice's Dad...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thats what it looks like alright. Burned on carbite or carbide one of the other. Saw my daddy wear one of those when I was real young and the coal mines were in operation here. Now thats been a long time ago. They fasten it to there hat they wore under ground.

4. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I would agree that it is a carbide miner's lamp with the reflector missing. I used one as a kid for frog & coon hunting.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    The reflector is gone . carbide went in the lower canister, water in the top. the lever controlled the flow of water to the carbide .The more water the more gas it made and the brighter the lamp

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Boy, that brings back some good memories. That's what we started out wearing while coon hunting. I love to smell of one out in some old musty smelling woods. I have also taken some calcium carbide (I think that's what it was called) and used it to repel skeeters. You can put some in a pork and bean can with a little water and light it and it will work for hours.

Thanks for bringing back some memories Sister.

st

*edit, you also had to carry a small diameter wire with you to pick it's nose occasionally. We keep a piece of old screen in our hunting coats.*

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Glad y'all enjoyed it. I figured most would know what it was at least.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd never seen a carbide light until we moved to AR. The guys used them for hunting. I found me one at a 2nd hand store and thought it was the neatest thing. A can of carbide would last quite a while. Wish I had kept it, but like so many things I had are long gone.

Thanks for that one Cheryl!

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Includein your hair! LOL!
    Sorry Dayton. I had to do it. The door was open. LOL!

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    WHY? Are you jealous? LMAO.

I offered you and DH a toupee in the disappointed post under the tournament talk area. Y'all didn't take me up on it, so all offers are rescinded. LOL.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cheryl.Guess what?Are you familiar with Mahoney's in Johnson City Tennessee where I bought this "Acetylene Cap Lamp"new approx.20 years ago?I am looking at it now with 3 cans of Carbide complete with Mahoney's price stickers. I just took it out of the box that I bought it in along with the cleaning wire,instructions and parts list.It is a "Premier" brand."Premier" and "BRITISH MADE" are on the top of the lamp or water chamber.I lit it up one time in Erwin to try as I wanted to make sure it worked before I left.It has not been used since.No wonder my wife complains about my junk.It looks like I have one of everything.I surly wish that I could put pictures on here.Peewee-williams.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You don't bother me.... I got more hair on top than you. :cool2: :lol:

13. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I have had to abandon a boat 3 times in my life for one reason or another and a carbide lamp was the cause of the first one. My Dad, brother, a neighbor and I were in a home made wooden boat in a drainage ditch gigging fish and frogs one night when I was about 6. The boat leaked as I guess all homemade boats do and somebody spilled carbide in the boat. Of course this instantly turned to acytalene gas. And of course somebody dropped a cigarette . Now we are sitting in a burning boat.The grown ups stepped out of the boat into water but I needed help, it was over my head.
    Luckily no one was hurt and the boat only slightly scorched. Yes I remember carbide light s fondly:lol: I thought 6V bullseye head lamps were the greatest thing since indoor plumbing when they came along, Ahh progress!