For anyone who hunts in Illinois or anyone else for that matter.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Nov 26, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i hunt about 7 or 8 miles from the ill. in. border in prarie creek(Vigo County) and i heard what sounded like rifle shots all day a ways from the west. is it possible that they could have been ill. hunters? cuz i kno what a shotgun sounds like and im certian they were rifle shots. and if you hunt along the border of in. and your in ill., can you hear our shots to? i just wasnt sure if a rifle could echo 7 to 8 miles or not.

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Depending on weather conditions and how dense the area is I suppose it is possible to hear a shot that far away.
    If the shots were from IL. they hopefully were not being fired by deer hunters because we are not allowed to deer hunt with rifles

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know about how far you can hear a rifle shot.Now if you had been close to the Mo /Il. line I'd say you was probably hearing Muzzle loaders going off.And are them things really loud. Muzzleload Deer Season is in over here.Them things sound like cannons going off. Just be careful out there.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was sitting in the mountains during bow season and heard rifles going off all the time. Around here you can "check in" a deer by phone or on-line. No one ever looks at it. I think that has brought out a lot more poachers and a lot of people that don't even check their deer in. They know that no one will see the wound to tell what killed it.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I think you're right. We should go back to the old system of check in.
    Not only is it a better way it's also fun to see what everyone else killed and show off your kill. :big_smile:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Checking game in can be done at check in stations or on line. I prefer on line for ease of doing so. I am glad Virginia gives us that option. As for outlaws not doing right. They have been around for awhile. report violations but don't make it tougher on us honest folk.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I don't know if reporting helps. The DNR isn't high on the list since 9/11. Indiana is really under staffed. Taking reports is about all these poor fellas an gals can do. Get this, with the advances in archery equipment now, the poachers have gone to archery over guns. They work in teams, drop off the shooter at the woodline near a county road. Then after he poaches and trespasses, he makes his drag to whatever point is closest to the road, then cells or talkies for the pick up, an they're gone in minutes with no sound. My uncle use to listen for shots. Now he scans his property lines along the roadfront for lights stopped after dark. He has given chase twice now, but with no plate light, & mud over the plate all he can tell the sheriff is it's a late model Ford 4x4. He got so close the second time they fired a warning shot at him. With evil like that, ya ain't gonna win. I think it's like the rest of our society. Lawlessness is just on the increase. You fellas be careful out there. Luck to ya. (We know it was archery cause he found a arrow by the side of the road where they loaded and ran.)

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The DGIF never did check them in here. You check them at any country store where they sell licenses. Some of the clerks would come out and look at the deer and some wouldn't. Now you get the impression that the state doesn't care how you kill them as long as you kill them. That's why the guy that owns the land I hunt on uses a 30-06 all season long. He knows that the only way he'll get caught is if some calls the law while he's actually hunting.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you heard these shots all day it was not a hunter.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with you target shooting or shooting cans

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    well, it wasnt one after another, it was just every so often throughout the day.

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

a guy that lives across the street from me says that alot of ill. you can use rifles but its sectioned out into rifle and shotgun parts. or at least it was when he lived there(7 years ago)

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I know for a fact you cannot use rifles in Illinois anywhere. Muzzleloaders are about as close to that as you can get. Shotguns with sabot slugs tend to be pretty loud too. 7 or 8 miles is a long way to hear a gun shot from so I doubt that they came form Illinois. It's hard to say what it was.

When I was bow hunting pretty close to dusk I'd hear some rifle shots, and I wouldn't be suprised if that was some outfitters making their customers happy.