For all you Haul Rite trailer owners....

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Grumper, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If you own a haulrite trailer, I'd suggest taking a look over it very closely for bad welds and stress cracks. I've heard alot of people complain about these trailers, and never had a complaint myself, until today. I must say, they are way too flimsy for these boats. Anyway, with that being said,.... I almost lost my ark today, when the boat trailer broke in half. :angry:I heard a pop, and the boat came loose.:crazy: It skidded on the spare tire for about 150 yds, before coming to a stop sideways in the middle of the road. Lucky no one was behind me, or it could have been really bad. So basically, I'm stuck in a hotel room at the lake with no boat, (sitting 1 mile north on the side of the road in some guy's front yard) till it can be welded on Monday. Anyway, where it broke was on the tounge, right behind the swing plates. I guess when the 3/8" brakets were welded to the thin a## 1/8" tubing of the trailer, it became brittle. The tounge was sheared clean off,about 1/2" behind the welds, and was still attached to my truck when I stopped to get the boat out of the road. Someone is going to be getting a nasty call first thing Monday morning!:roll_eyes:

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wow Gary that could of turned tragic real quick ,Glad you or no one else was hurt.

3. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    All I can say is HOLY SHEET!!!! :eek:oooh::crazy::eek:oooh::crazy: Glad no one got hurt. What lake are you at? I have to work or I would bring a welder and generator and come help you. I would give that trailer place an ear full for sure someone could have really gotten hurt. I would see if they would pay for the welding or try and get a new trailer out of them. Good Luck.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Dink and I both had trouble with ours. First the axles were too light then the trailer rusted through and broke. Luckily neither of us lost our boats but we had to weld them up. I was told at Cooks the warranty was up and nothing could be done. Pretty crappy stuff if you ask me.

5. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    wow that sucks glad nobody got hurt and i agree i would raise some major hell on monday mornin just light their phones up as soon as possible:angry:

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    John, I'm up at Mark Twain Lake. I could probably of drove home, and came back up with my 110 mig, but where the break is, the tube is flared out, and will need some fab work, and probably boxed and welded up with at least 1/4" plate. There's a guy in Paris who says he's gonna hook me up first thing Monday. I just need to figure out where to send the bill.:cool2:I'd like to have a new trailer, or at least for them to make it right. If it's fixed up right, then I will have peace of mind. But if not, I won't feel comfortable taking the damn thing anywhere. They are just lucky it didn't break off at 70mph running down the interstate. I would imagine there would be a big lawsuit over that.:crazy:

Bob, how old was your trailer when they said the "warranty" was up? I'm trying to find a webpage, but I can't find nothing online about them. It's clearly a factory defect, and I would think they would stand behind it, but you never know. If Shawn won't stand behind it, I'm gonna call Steve down at SeaArk and maybe he can steer me in the right direction.

7. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    :crazy::crazy: Wow, thank god nobody was hurt. Especially your boat!!! :eek:oooh:

8. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Either 3 or 4 years old. I know the warranty was for 1 year but a boat trailer should not rust through in 3 years. When Dink called Haul rite they told him to bring it down and leave it they would fix it when they had time. Rather than go down there and get all worked up I just welded mine and went on. Dink did the same thing. I will eventually get a different trailer made by someone else.

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, wouldn't sparklers have been an easier way to put on a light show for the 4th?

This really sucks. I'm really happy that no one (other than HR's reputation) was hurt.

Thanks for posting this, I know a lot of us have Haul Rites and are watching this story with great interest. Can you post up some pictures when you get a chance? Also be sure to let us know hat kind of response you get from the factory.

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    grumper a lot of truth to what your saying. A gentlemen just this past spring/winter had something pretty close happen also with his HaulRite trailer. Take a look at these pictures of his trailer. In the first picture, you can clearly see the manufacturer's name.

11. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Wow, that is everyones worse nightmare. Your right your lucky it did not come off on the highway.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    As Grumper can vouch, my HaulRite Trailer developed the exact same stress cracks right behind the joint on the swing tongue. I was down to about only one inch of metal holding the entire trailer to the tongue. Had I not got it fixed, I would have lost the boat as well. It cost me 210 bucks to have the joint refinforced with steel plates and rewelded/painted.

These trailers are extremely dangerous. Make sure you inspect the joints on the swing away tongues if you have them. It just might save your life or someone elses. Best bet would be to get reinforced even if there is no signs of cracking. These trailers were not designed for the weight of these SeaArk Boats.

IN addition, I had warped axels and 4 bad tires within 2 years due to excessive weight on the trailer. (24 Foot Big Daddy with 225 motor)

Glad you didnt get hurt Grump.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Here are a few pics of the p.o.s......

Attached Files:

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thats just insane.:confused2:

15. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    My axles gave out too. I replaced them with 3500lb axles and have had no trouble with excessive tire ware or axle trouble of any kind. I kept the old ones and I have Dinks as well. Just in case they would ever want to do the right thing.

16. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Wow! That looks terrible! Gary, you are lucky no one got hurt. It looks like the boat is in good shape, so that's a plus.

A trailer just shouldn't do that! Those things should last for years. Good luck tomorrow with Cooks.

17. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    So is this problem unique to swing tongue models? Like grump mentioned there additional welding there might weaken the metal on the tongue.

I've only had my Haul Rite for a little over a month now and I'm not real happy with it. No structural problems that I see with it [yet]. I don't have a swing tongue so I'm hoping that I can avoid having a repeat of grumps situation. My maon issue right now is that the boat sits down by the head on it, even when it is parked and the jack is raised all the way. I got a real surprise the first time it rained and that 24' boat had filled up with water. My workaround has been to buy a 48" farm jack that I use to get it ar the appropriate angle when stored. Seems a little hankey though

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    That is another issue with these trailers, they need a taller jack. I know with my half ton truck, the boat squats the truck, so if there is any rain water, all the weight is up front, on the toungue along with 30 gallons of fuel. I've been through a couple rainstorms where my truck ends up on the overloads with so much rain water weight on the toungue. Now I also know why Cuz would never put his big livewell tank in his boat.:smile2:
    You would think the designers of these trailers would've used 1/4" tubing for the main tounge assembly, vs. the 1/8" x4x4. If anyone is in this field of work you know that if you try to put much heat on thin metal it weakens it. You can tig or mig weld all day long the same thickness material, but if you try to weld a plate twice as thick onto it, the material right behind the lap joint is gonna be weakend. I guess If I didn't have the swing away toungue, I wouldn't have this problem.:crazy: Like Chris said, this should never have happened. Especially with a 1 1/2 year old trailer!!:angry:

19. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont have a swing away tongue. My trailer gave way at the back. The cross beam that holds the over 80 light and the transom saver rusted and broke in two. I welded some flat stock across it and it is holding so far.

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    The manufacturers might not be the main culprit in the trailers. Some of it might fall on the boat dealers also. Most boats from the manufacturer don't come with a trailer. The dealers or a middle man usually fit the boat with a trailer. With that said. they will try to cut costs and try to get the cheapest trailer they can to hold costs down. We got a couple dealers out here on the east coast that will try to push an undersized trailer for a boat in a heartbeat.

they tried it with me when I bought my boat last year, but I didn't go for it. I wanted a good trailer. I paid more money for the trailer I got now, but I did it because it was a piece of mind knowing I have a properly sized trailer for my SeaArk.

Most of these trailer manufacturer's build to specs. They don't build to what it is going to be hauling, in most circumstances they don't have a clue as to what boat it will be hauling. I would venture to guess there is a lot of trailers running around that are maxed out with what they haul weight wise. Around here I can walk through the parking area for a boat launch and you can tell which ones are maxed out, overloaded just by looking at the axles and tires. Have seen a lot of trailers with cracks at welds and frames.

Only something to throw into the discussion to think about.