For all you hard core trappers out there.

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by cuttingout69, Mar 14, 2007.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I received a brand new MB550RC in the mail today. I will not say who sent it, but I will say this is the best built fox/cat trap I have ever seen in my life. The base plate is made in two pieces and bolted together with lock nuts. The jaws are thicker and heavier than any trap jaws I have ever seen any where. They are also cast jaws. The pan is not adjustable and has 0 pan tension on it. The dog is some of a work of art. The dog is round and angled with a hair trigger night latch built in. This is the heaviest and smoothest trap I have ever seen. I am ordering 2 doz tomorrow morning along with all my next year supplies.

I thought I would give yall my review of this new trap line from MTP.

2. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw it last year in Hutchinson ,made me drool the rest of the convention LOL . I tried to buy one then but was sent off trapless :angry: That was before the trigger was changed to the way it is now . It was my understanding the pan tension would run around 2 lbs after it is set . The spring tension will make it be more then before it is set .

That unadjustable pan tension will take it out of the market for a few states that require it to have an adjustable tension though .

Coyote cuffs also run a cast jaw as well as wire levers . I bought a set of jaws to play with LOL . Maybe I will get around to doing that this summer yet :confused2:

Drifter

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK Tony, Pete yall got my curiosity up , who makes em?

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Minnesota Trapline Products. Check it out, I uploaded some pics. I am ordering 2 doz tomorrow. They are strong and heavy. They have three swivels. One attached to a D ring on the base plate, 4 links of crunch proof chain, another swivel, and 4 links of cruch proof chain, and another.

Attached Files:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    how does it compare to the victor double coils as for trap size.1 1/2 1 3/4 or num. 2s.icant tell from the pic.or does it come in multiple sizes.

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How much do they sell for?

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

........... they would be compared to a number 2 with it haveing a five and a half inch jawspread

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i wish they would make them in three's myself

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The 550 only comes in one size. It is the 550, and it is as large or little larger than than a BMI 2Wolfer. They run $175 a doz. Tom, if you want a #3, you need the MB650, that is what is comparable to the 3-4.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good lookin trap, I,ve been usin # 2 montgomery dogless on coyotes for years and these are my fav . i dont believe you need a huge trap to catch and hold dogs but a stout trap is a necessity.

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It looks like a real nice trap, well made. Thanks for the pics and the review.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

never have owned any of there stuff. kinda looking for a nother dozen or two. might buy one of those 650's and check it out. dont own anything smaller than a three. just way to many yotes and big bobcats for the smaller traps imo. those 650's any good?

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I just ordered myself 2 doz new MB 550RC. They released them to the general public Monday of last week and they are totally out today. I was told I they are now two weeks out on orders.