For all you Ebay experts...Scam question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, now I know all about different scams on Ebay and such but wondered how this one works,
    I see an add that says to bid on an item, and seller has 200+ at 99.9 positive feedback, and of course there is a extremely low start price and no reserve.There are never any bids on the items, Location is always listed as "USA" and when you email them ( which they always ask you to) and I always say, where is it and Ill come test drive it( I been looking at tractors BTW) then I get the scammer response that Ill cut and paste from one I recd.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    hello there!
    buy it now for $2900!
    I will pay for shipping!
    I am for the moment in Romania because I want to moved here and I need some money to buy a house,I just find one and for this reason I sell the tractor at this lower price
    The tractor it is stored at ebay warehouse in California , US , the tractor will be shipped
    from there on my expence .
    Terms & Conditions Shipping and handling:
    The shipping address must be provided before sending the payment. The
    tractor will be shipped trough DAS Shipping Company . The tractor will only
    be sent after receiving the payment. I agreed with eBay to send my tractor
    to its warehouse since I am not in US .This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.
    If the tractor is different than the way i've described it, 100% refund - transfer fees and the tractor will be shipped back to eBay's warehouse on my expence. Anyway, i don't think it will be necesary, you'll love this tractor from very first moment you'll see it.
    Buy with confidence!
    Instructions for the payment :
    The transaction will be made under ebay protection.They will send you an invoice for your purchase.
    To set up our transaction I need the follow info:
    Your ebay user id: ...
    Your ebay email address: ...
    First Name: ...
    Last name: ...
    Address: ...
    City: ...
    State: ...
    Zip: ...
    name of the item you want to buy and the price we agreed...
    I will contact ebay as soon as i receive the info. In shortly you must receive an invoice from ebay. You must read carefully the invoice and there you will have all instructions
    about payment and shipping.
    Thank You
    Waiting for your email......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ok so I undestand its a scam, just curious as I assume there is no Ebay Warehouse and im curious about being protected by ebay, I imagine that by not going through ebays email option for questions, that you void all protection, is that the scam?? Just curious and hope to educate others, also why would you screw up all that positive feedback?

Thoughts, Ideas, discussions?
    BTW, I emailed 6 different ones yesterday to see what typers of responses I recd and got 5 replies all very simillar. ( Just different names, countries and background)

Salmonid

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Mark,
    I would immediately report the seller's info and send a copy of the email to eBay!
    Its the lowlifes like this seller that make it bad for the honest sellers.
    I would be very interested in what eBay says and does in these cases.
    Good thing you are wise enough not to fall for this junk, many people do fall for it.
    Barb

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I would report it to ebay also.
    I've been a registered seller on ebay for 6 years and I've never heard of a warehouse to store items.

Ken

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I turn in fake "phishing" scams about twice a month. In my hotmail junkmail I'll get an official looking email from what looks to be ebay asking me to help them with my account telling me to log in with a link. These links are fraudulent but it is quick access to a user account and password. Then using a fake account (id theft) they get you to send money outside of ebay and poof they are gone.

Any correspondence that I get about ebay that sounds fishy I send to spoof@ebay.com (there is also spoof @paypal.com)
    To do this you need to look at the fraudulent email and copy the info in the address bar and paste it to your email to spoof@....

They usually respond within hours.

Be good and be safe out there guys and gals,

Shawn

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Could it be that the feedback is all fake? Several people that know each other and have given feedback to each other through several accounts. As soon as one account drops below a set feedback percentage, they might switch to another account for their scams.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd definitely report that to ebay it doesn't sound right to me. I once had a friend looking to buy a car and the seller requested 5 grand wired to an offshore account. Stuff like that doesn't sound legit to me.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    lol...i have over 200 ebay with 100% positive and i have never run into that one. turn that sucker in...scam all the way. if it isn't ebay will tell you.

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If it's Email from Ebay you will have the EXACT message in "my messages" at your Ebay home. If it's not there, report it! I have a different Ebay user name than what my business email is. My first clue to "spoof" mail is it comes in my business name, not my Ebay name. Heard the one about the $26,000. boat for $2,900.? The idiots are still trying to scam someone. Watch out for ANYONE asking for your personal information..It's a scam!:misdoubt: :ah:
    Don

9. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mark, I am a current ebay registered user with 531 positive feedbacks and rating of 100%. The first question I have is did you receive this message through the ebay message system or did it come in your personal email. I read the message you posted. Let me say that you should NEVER, EVER GIVE ANYONE YOUR EBAY USER ID OR PERSONAL INFORMATION OF ANY KIND. This is definately a SCAM and as others have stated should be reported to Ebay. Please send all the information including the sellers user ID, item number and the message you received to spoof@ebay.com as soon as possible. If you have any further questions regarding the Ebay process feel free to contact me by pm. These people are what makes it bad for the rest of us legitimate sellers.

Tony

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have since received the 6th reply and all are similar and I just spent half a n hour sending all adds to Spoof @ebay addy. I knew it was a scam but wanted to share that one as its a real common one out there and kinda wondered how that one worked other then the obvious, where you pay and dont get anything back.

Thanks for the replys, good info on a good topic!

Salmonid

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I had ordered some glo sticks to go on the end of the rod. I send a money order to make it go thru faster and 20 days later still hadn't received the sticks. I had sent him a e-mail asking about when the purchased items were shipped....no response, no e-mail, no nothing. Waited till the 20th day to file a compaint with e-bay. 2 days later, I get a e-mail letter from e-bay stating they were being shipped thru paypal. Don't know what they did or how they did it but I did get them finally. I don't really plan on ordering anymore from him. Got 200 for 6.94 so that should last me a long time. Also inside was the address of the place where he gets them, so I'll just eliminate the middle man next time. LOL

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I don`t eBay my self but had my wife read this thread:big_smile: