Football Game: Channel Cats vs Bluegill, Silver Spgs, FL

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by festus, Nov 22, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I started to post this in the Florida forum, but there's not much activity over there. Has anyone ever been to Silver Springs, Florida in Ocala? In the very early 1970's, my h.s. senior class trip took us to Daytona Beach for about 8-9 days. On the way down, we stopped at Silver Springs. They took us in glass bottom boats over this very clear lake, can't remember the name right off the bat. It was full of bluegill 1 lbs. to 2 lbs., and various sizes of channel catfish. Man I'd love to take a fly rod in there.

Anyway, the tour guide on our boat drug out a football size and shape of compressed light bread, and paddled us over this one hole of water. There was a white stripe on the bottom of the lake. Bluegill were schooled up in one area, and the catfish were schooled nearby. He dropped the bread in the water, all heck broke loose, the bluegill nudged the bread over the goal line in a few seconds, they wore the catfish out.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Do you know if they still do it? I'd like to see it again.:smile2: They also took us over some holes that had some of the biggest channel cats I've ever seen.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Festus we were thare and took the glass bottom boat trip a few years back. Was amused at the size of the many fish. They never did the bread trick. I wish the had.

3. festus

festus New Member

I was there in the spring of 1971, so things have changed. Lots of underwater scenes in movies and TV shows were shot there, including Sea Hunt and The Creature From the Black Lagoon. If anyone ever watches these flicks, look for the huge bluegills.