FoodSaver Questions...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bassadict69, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I am wanting to buy a FoodSaver but now realize there are way too many choices. What are the differences in those that are less than $100 & those that are say closer to $200?

I have even seen one at K-Mart for about $80...Is it junk?

What is the difference in the GameSaver models?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've only used the Foodsaver brand, and they work pretty good. My oldest is a basic unit, but reliable and works very well. The newer one has attachments for jars and extended vacuum/sealing, and that is handy at times, too. I stick with their brand of bags also.
    Never have used the other brands, so I can't offer any info on them.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    For past year we have the foodsaver model # V485. Stainless steel look. I think it was $70.
    Can be put away under cabinet. Be nice if we had the room to mount it somewhere.
    Anyway, it has worked good for us. We use it for our meats, fresh vegetables, stuff like that. Buy our stuff on sale and foodsaver keeps it for a long time. Does what we need, protects the food, and we sometimes re use the bags.
    thats about all I know about them. Works for us.:smile2:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I ran into the same problem before I bought mine. The web site and all stores carry different model #'s and it is hard to compare prices. I ended up buying the "pro sport" for about $120. I do like the different levels of vacuming but you can always hit insant seal and stop the vacum where you want. I'd say any of them $80 to $120 in price range will be OK. Use mine mostly for crappie and other fish but since there is only 2 of us in my house we also vacum seal a lot of single meals for ourselves. Keep it on the kitchen counter and we seem to use it more that way!

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have a Foodsaver Vac-800, works great. I use generic bags when I can get them,they have worked just fine so far. The jar sealer is the thing though. I use it more than bags, save cheese or leftovers in jars and you don't waist money on bags, thats where they get you! Those bags are expensive. My favorite use is for morels in the spring. Put them in a quart jar or bigger, just shake them off don't get them wet, then vacuum. They will stay fresh for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
    My son has a wannabe model, he says it doesn't have half the power as ours. :smile2:

6. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Any idea which model he has? I would like to stay away from it if possible!

I plan to use one for fish & deer meat as well as minor things like pre-made dinner plates & stuff. We also bbq quite a bit & want one to freeze individual portions.

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I am with NetmanJack on this one. The jar sealer is a real bonus to have!
    We have the FoodSaver® V2480 Advanced from Sam's Club for $118.87 and LOVE it.
    I have used it for everything from fish, deer, beef, pork, cooked veggies, raw veggies, cooked barbecue, stews, freezing meals to reheat later, etc.
    This one comes with the jar sealer, 2 vaccuum canisters, bags, etc. I buy meat on sale and in bulk. I then grind my own burger, sausage, etc. and it keeps longer than ever in these vaccuum packed bags. It really saves a lot of money in the long run, even though you have to buy the bags.

I had the basic Food Saver for years and years and it still works to this day. But this one is like the cream of the crop compared to it.

Here is the link to the one we have:
    Sam's Club Food Saver

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I have the small"economy" model-I think its a Foodsaver 480.I use Food- savor 8" rolls,you can make them any length.I sealed 13 big Mullet I caught at Santee in Nov. & it worked perfect.I think it costed around $30 at K-mart(and the bags are $20-go figure!)--After you seal baitfish it gets nasty, so I wouldn't use it for anything else.Thats why I didn't come off big $$$ for it.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He says it is a Black& Decker.:crazy:

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i got one from FOODSAVER. he was or is a member here. i traded 25#'s of sinkers for it. it is a 480 i think. small and can be easily put under the cabinet. works great for fish and wild game. that is way i wanterd one. i uer the wal-mart bags. 2-3$ cheaper and i have had no trouble with them. i veay rarley can re use them since fish is oily.