Foods that are bad for your dogs.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by elphaba7, Oct 8, 2005.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Spawned from the Pets...whatcha got? thread is this list of foods that are not good for our dogs. Now, many of us have fed our dogs these foods over time, and I'm not saying that your beloved pooch will fall over dead if he ingests one of them, but that they could be affecting your dog slowly from the inside, and possibly take years off his or her life. At least, that's how I've always seen these foods.

1. Chocolate can be lethal to pets -because it contains theobromine, which causes increased heart rate, central nervous system stimulation and constriction of arteries. Clinical symptoms range from vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and excitability to cardiac failure, seizures and death. This can occur as quickly as four to six hours after ingestion. Baking chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of theobromine. A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog. If your pet has gotten into chocolate you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

2. For people who think its funny to let their dog sip beer...Alcohol is also very bad for cats and dogs. It doesn't take much alcohol to intoxicate a pet. Animals will stagger and bump into things, hurting themselves, and it also causes them to urinate uncontrollably. In high doses, alcohol will suppress the central nervous, respiratory and cardiac systems and can lead to death. It is best to just give your pet water.

3. Milk is also not good for animals - many of them are lactose intolerant and will develop diarrhea. Pets often lack the enzyme that is required to break down the sugar in milk and this can cause them to develop
    vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms. Even though they like it, especially cats, refrain from giving your pets milk.

4. Ham, bacon, lunchmeat and other salty/cured/smoked meats and foods are very dangerous to pets- In addition to being high in fat, they are also very salty which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called "bloat." This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing the pet to die. Please avoid giving ham and salty foods to your pets. This also includes any high salt human snack such as chips, pretzels,nuts, etc.

5. Onions are toxic to pets.They contain allyl propyl disulfide, which damages their red blood cells and can cause fatal consequences in animals. They may become anemic, weak and have trouble breathing. The best thing to do if your pet ingests onions is to get them to the vet right away.

6. Caffeine is also bad for pets. It contains methylated xanthine that, like chocolate, stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems and within several hours can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and even death. So make sure your pets stay away from that early morning brew.

7. Avocados are also bad for pets. First, they are really high in fat and can cause stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. Second, the pit is also toxic and can get lodged in the intestinal tract leading to a severe blockage, which may require surgery.

8. It may come as a surprise to many that tuna fish is bad for cats. The feline heart muscle requires an amino acid called taurine to maintain normal strength and function. Regular tuna fish for humans does not have this amino acid and cats that eat too much tuna fish will develop heart
    problems. If you want to give your cats that taste of tuna that they love,
    just make sure it is tuna fish for cats which has this amino acid added.

9. Studies found that raisins & grapes EVEN IN VERY SMALL AMOUNTS can lead to quick and total kidney failure in dogs. Small dogs can also choke on grapes.

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Same here, Jim. Our dogs get their kibble, and treats occaisionally. Along with raw eggs for the puppy, and whatever other fresh foods I know are alright for them.

Our holiday treat for our old dog used to be he got the ham bone, and he always loved it, but then he started throwing it up. We stopped giving it to him, and now only give the dogs raw soup bones.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I know when the kids give the dog a treat when I'm gone.He has a way of,.....uh....letting everyone in the room know a few hours later :cursing: ever see a dog try to act like it was someone else :crying: I guess dogs can get embarassed too. :eek: :eek:

4. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    ". Ham, bacon, lunchmeat and other salty/cured/smoked meats and foods "

Oh my gosh,are cured and smoked meats bad for everything and everyone?That makes up bout half of my diet.....LOL
    Reminds me of when my 1st dog ate a rump roast that was thawing on the counter.

What about bones <<<<<"almost made a really really bad typo there!!!!!
    but seriously,everyone says bones are bad for dogs and i used to always give mine bones except chicken bones.She'd gnaw on them for hours.
    Our 1st dog,a sheppard may have died from bones"shes the one who ate that rump roast in a minute and a 1/2 4 pound rump"She'd tear down t-bones in seconds go through hamhocks like they were candy,lol, reminds me one day i was makin bean n ham soup and gave the dog the ham hock after i was done with it.....later that night the dog was freakin out.....kept flippin and floppin......running face first dragging her face on the floor.....pawing at her mouth.....

Well,after finally calming her down and inspecting her mouth,i noticed she had the softer inner part of the ham bone lodged in her back maulers.Dunno still if she was in pain or just discomfort but it wasn't lookin pretty either way.After a couple minutes i was able to get a good grasp on it and get it out of her mouth but it wads a scary ordeal to say the least!
    Needless to say i am the only one who gnaws on ham bones anymore in this house....lol,doggy gets no more afrter that.

Am surprised to see tuna is bad for a cat,i try to feed it to ours all the time but she never really goes for it,dunno why but will make sure i stop tryin.

The alcohol for pets i wiull keep quiet about,lol but remionds me of that movie when they gave the dog beer all the time and turned em into superdog.....lol
    Strange brew or somethin like that. pretty good movie.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Thanks for posting, very good info, I stopped giving my dog coffee when you posted about several weeks ago. :D

6. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    You should'nt give your dog table scraps at all. It wont kill them or anything but more then likely they will hae bad skin or be over weight if your not careful.Thats why they make dog food anyways.

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    If you knew what went into dog food you wouldn't feed it to your worst enemy let alone your best friend. My dog gets nothing but raw meat(ground turkey, chicken wings) and a little salmon every day to provide omegas.

8. Southernraised84

State:
    Thats why you should look into the dog food befor you buy it.Dont go get the cheapest thing out there some of the food they have out here ant good at all. Its good to feed them raw chicken and veggies if you are gonna give them any kind of food that would be the best for them.Trust me on this one.

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Where do you think all the protien and bone meal comes from?

Well we already know that anything they can get away with go into our foods like hot dogs and spam.

Maybe you think its just old retired horses.

Not!!!!!!!!!

10. Southernraised84

State:
    What kind of dogs do you have Joe? Like i said i wouldnt go get any dog food off the shelf look into whats put in it first.Dont give your dog table scraps well i mean its your dog give it what you want but its not healthy for them.

11. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Just one thought the neighbors dog that was euthanized last month you may be feeding to your dog right now flea collar and all.

12. Southernraised84

State:
    Here buddy just so you know go to www.vonshrado.com thats my grandpa @ grandmother. I work with dogs every day i have a champion yellow lab and boxer.My grandmother is the #1 great dane breader in the country her dogs have been on the cover of Dog Fancy.So please dont tell me what i am feeding my dogs.She has 9 of them right now and was a world champion for several years. We have have a total of 48 champions.Thank you

13. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Joe, you are right about the diet. You prolly feed BARF diet (Bones and Raw Food). I feed my dogs Innova Evo, which is the closest to raw dry-kibble you can feed. Four human grade meat sources, and no grains. Any food that lists a "byproduct" should be avoided, and corn is another filler that dogs don't need in there diets. The food I feed is 537 kcal/cup, 42% protein, and 99% of that protein comes from meat. ;) The dogs only eat a total of 2.5 cups each, per day. That's all they need, since the food is so rich. They have perfect shiny coats, clear eyes, no dander, and super small poops, since they are utilizing almost all of the food. No gas either, :p .

Yes, the food is more expensive pound for pound, but since I feed them so much less EVO, it actually costs less to feed them great quality food. :)

14. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Jen I may have to check that food out.
    I like the fact that they state the human grade meat source and that it is raw.
    I have seen lots of ingredient list that use word like 99% meat and bone meal that I would be skeptical of.

15. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Joe, here is a link

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=//product[@id='1246']

This site has a great comparison chart also, if you surf around on it. You can click on each ingredient, and it will tell you exactly what it is.

Keep in mind that meal is not a bad ingredient, as it is made of ground bones and such. Byproduct is what people need to watch out for, as it usually is "unspecified parts of unspecified animals" :sick-big:

16. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Meat and bone meal are the ingredients in most dog food where you will find he most harmful products. The bulk meal manufacturers put stuff in their kilns that you wouldn't even feed to your worst enemy

17. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I know show/working dogs need to have a good diet,but just regular dogs seem to do o.k. on some of the higher quality dog foods.Don't get too anal about "by-products",Dogs,coyotes,wolves have got along for many a year eating what they could.

Is cat poop a by-product??Haven't seen too many dogs that could turn that down :D :D

18. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    If you look at the link I provided, you'll see that it is specific:

turkey meal Turkey meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone derived from the parts of whole carcasses of turkey--exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

chicken meal Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

If you are feeding your dog chicken wings, it is none so different than feedin chicken meal. Many people that feed BARF also feel their dogs chicken backs and necks. Here's a link with some more info on that for you.
    http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet.shtml

19. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Thanks for that site Jen would actually like to check it out and maybe become a distributor.

If a dog is eating grass or defecation then it is missing something in its diet. Dogs evolved eating the full carcass of an animal including the vegetable filled viscera. So they don't just need meat, bone and organs they also require vegetables which they have problems breaking down because there prey do that for them.

20. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I've heard that macadamia nuts will hurt a dog if they eat them. Has anyone else heard this?