Food Vacuum Sealers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by nitronostrils, Aug 5, 2007.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I'm on the market for a sealer, could anyone suggest a good, inexpensive one. I've been eyeing this one at Cabela Item:XH-517809. Thanks.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeremy, I have a black and Decker vacuum sealer from walmart. It seams to do a great job and is inexpensive. The only drawback I see with it is you must press down the top and continusly hold(with quite a bit of pressure) while it operates. After the light turns green you can let go, but it would be nice to have your hands free to do some more packing or whatnot while it operates. Vern

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll try one myself.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What we have is called "Foodsaver", I think. I don't know how we ever got along without it. Ma puts everything from soup to nuts in those little bags. Even vacuum seals in fruit jars.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Got one at a yardsale for $1 this summer. Works great, it is a Black and Decker also.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have the Foodsaver Pro Sport. Packaged 5lbs bacon, 2lbs smoked brisket, and about 1 1/2 dozen stuffed peppers yesterday. one of the best things I ever bought.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a food saver. Dont remember model # or exact price. Stainless and cost under 100 bucks at wal mart.. Has the one touch, hands free sealer , which i like. Works good for us.
    We did switch to the off brand bags, cheaper than the Food saver brand bags and they seem to work just as good .
    We also reuse our bags till they get too small to seal.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Home Depot has one online for $24.99 and the bags are cheap also.

Well for a total of $50.00 I figured what the heck and ordered it.

What a piece of Cr@P I got in the mail!

Doesn't seem to even come close to vacuuming any air out of the bag. Yes, I read and re-read the directions etc........

A waste of money big time.

Get what you pay for. I knew it too, I just couldn't stand how CHEAP it was.:angry:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have a food saver I got for xmas. I use it for just about everything. Gotta love it when the grocery store has a buy 1 get 1 free sale in the meat dept. I vacuum seal it all for the chest freezer. Ive kept fish for over a year with no freezer burn. (I tested it with a small fish to see if its what its cracked up to be.)

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have a Seal-a-Meal that I got at wallyworld and it does a fine job. Got it for around 30.00. I have had no problems with it as of yet and I have bagged up over 600 skipjack with it in the last 2 years!!

11. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Now that's a man who's got his priorities straight:wink:.

I use mine to vacuum seal mackeral filets and fresh threadfin shad. Keeps the bait super fresh for future fishing trips. I wish I used it more for food, but the bait gets the most lovin' in my household.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there used to be a member on here with the handle FOODSAVOR. i traded him some sinkers for a foodsavor 550 i believe. takes the wide bags as well as small. i love it. might look him up and see. he seems to have a bunch.

13. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I have the Foodsaver Vac 800. It's been packed away unused till this year. I've been using it for shad, man that's the ticket does a very good job. Recently I started using on other thing as well can't believe I just had this thing laying around and not using it.