Food savers for freezing bait?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by stlcatman, Oct 1, 2007.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    What is a good maching for vacuume sealing bait. I am looking for a cost effective one that will do the job relatively quickly. Was wondering if anyone has had some good ones that they would recomend or bad ones that they would stay clear of, and where did you get it. This will be my first time using one and was also wondering if there are accessories that help and what size bags to get.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From reading posts, it sounds like some machines quit because of a little liquid, while others tolerate it well. If you'll price bags in boxes, and rolls, I think you'll find that rolls are quite a bit cheaper. Make the bag larger than you need, so that after you trim off the seal, there's enough bag left to use again.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have used foodsaver brand for yrs now. great machines. here's a url if you want to read what they do and and stuff. http://www.foodsaver.com/PDF/FS.UserGuide_v11.pdf
    if you get one, get one with the starter kit in it. comes with rolls, directions, and suction cord so if you want to buy the canisters someday to freeze in. i froze venison in 2004 in vacuum pack. thawed some out a few weeks ago and still tasted mighty fresh and good.
    oh, make sure if you get one, it will do both wet and dry food. that way if you don't want to suck out all the juice, you won't.
    gary

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    We use a foodsaver also, and just put a piece of paper towel toward the vacuum side to keep the moisture from getting into the machine. Then seal it up, and just leave the paper towel in the bag,works good. Later Andy

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not to be a me too'er,but jt is telling you right about the rolls. We have a Foodsaver and use it for just about everything.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I clicked on the link to the Foodsaver site, I noticed something every catfisherman should be aware of. There is a warning that bags that contained certain foods, such as meat or fish should not be reused. For catfishermen, that should read, "should not be reused for food". Rather than throw these bags away, wash them out and save them for your bait. So says the little birdie...cheap, cheap, cheap. :0a18:

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks for the info guys, I will put that to good use. I was reading some reviews online this morning and found that there are people unhappy with just about every brand and make. A bunch of them were complaining about the moisture getting into the seals, so I think that paper towel trick will work great. I want to lock that good juice in there anyway.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I picked a foodsaver up at Sam's club and this model is for moist or dry items. Comes with a tray in case any liquids get pulled so they drop in a tray that you can take out and wash. Great for bait!

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how much did that one from sams cost?
    I saw several models there but they were from $50-$150.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    They have about 100 model #'s and about the same # of prices. It can be mind boggling. I went with one about $110. I think most people I know who bought the cheaper ones from any manufacturer have trashed them. Mine worked good for a couple of years now and it has been used a lot.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I bought the cheapo, I think it was from HomeDepot, online only. It was like $25.00, you get what you pay for. That thing won't hardly suck the air out of an empty bag. Completely worthless! I'll sell it to you cheap!:wink:REAL CHEAP!

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Do you use them to preserve the bait from falling apart or rotting? I myself refreeze my bait after every trip and it gets better with age.