Food prep

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by punkin570, Jan 20, 2007.

1. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    i would like to know how most of you handle the food aspect of things....do you buy convenience and prepackaged stuff or do u buy bulk and prepare it at home before u go (ex: pattin out and freezin burgers, choppin onions, etc) or do you do all food prep on the campsite?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    We might buy some burger patties, but most of the cooking and prep for cooking is done at the camp site... barbeque this and that vegies, sausage, chicken, steak...... we have done it all, back packing... tenting, tent trailer, and now its the RV...dont plan on eating fish, not that I dont catch em.... depends on how many folks are with us in a group..... do a fish fry for orderves

bayrunner ray

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i always have enough canned food to provide for an unsuccessful fishin endeavor.

I fully expect to catch several meals worth of meat whenever i go out, but i do not wish to be arrogant. My meat obatining skills are good, but if mother nature turns off her spicket....i will have stuff to fall back on.

cyas
    robert

4. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    usually i try to make out our patties and freeze them well ahead of time...i never buy beef, always use deer, so there goes buying premade patties, i also make things ahead like potato salad or wrap potatoes in foil for baking potatoes the nite before we leave or pregrinding the slaw fixings and puttin it in a ziploc to mix on site. we have a 3 gal. drink cooler that i will premeasure the sugar and add the kool-aid mix to so i dont hafta do that on site, just add water. any little thing i can do at home to help cut down on baggage and cooking time at site.

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hey, Punkin. I'm always the cook when me 'n the guys go campin'. (Just don't trust anybody else to do it....:cool2:) And what I do, is usually take two coolers. One for the be...I mean, sodas...and the other for the parishables. We always like to pack as light as possible, so they're both usually pretty small. Then we'll have a tater bag full of the cooking utensils and unparrishable food. And I never prepare anything at home...that's no fun..hah. I'll peel the taters, chop up the onion, and the peppers right there at the campsite while watchin' the rods at the same time. Gives me somethin' to do, to save me from my constant boredom...other than watch my friends fight over who gets the second best spot by the fire...(I'm the biggest, so I get the first:tounge_out:) I'm just sure to bring a bar of soap, and usually about two gallons of tap water. Hotdogs ain't bad, but there's nothin' like fried taters, beans, and a slab of fried ham from the fire. Hope this gave ya what you were lookin' for.

-Red

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I try to prepare as much at home as I can, then all I have to do is heat up or cook when camping. I am all about keeping it as simple as possible and as easy, more time and energy to go fish.

7. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I usually prepared as much at home as I could. I didn't want to miss out on anything at the campsite. Unfortunately,We stopped camping a couple of years ago. Vern and I couldn't take sleeping on that old hard air mattress:tounge_out: . Actually, we just got too busy to enjoy the outdoors together.

Red, let me know when you'll be cookin. Sounds great.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do all that I can at home. We even cook up some meat loafs and freeze them. That way just heat them up and its easy and fast. Also fry up burger for chili, That way all that has to be done is dump it in and start. Even fry up sausage(Stuffed peppers) ahead of time also store it in a zip lock bag like the burger.
    WE we do not get made up ahead of time. WE do at camp.
    Pete

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I do all I can at home so theres less to carry and less mess.

10. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Do all I can at home. I have a 2qt. pitcher that is the perfect size for storing burger patties (about 5" dia.). Just put wax paper between that patties and stack them up. Cut up fixins that need to be cut and store in some of those throw away tupperware type bowls. Take a gal. freezer bag of fish breading and a little cooking oil incase we actually catch some fish to eat:wink: , mmmmm nothing like fresh channel cat fillets:tounge_out: .

Jon

11. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the food saver is awsome we can make up lots of things and take a big pot to boil water in. The boil in bags make it real easy to reheat lots of stuff also great for food storage in coolers when the ice melts and you get lots of cold water in your cooler
    One example is my breakfast burritos make about a dozen up in advance vacume pac em then freeze em then on a morn you don't feel like cooking cause you were out fishin to late the night before or had to many icy cold beverages all you have to do is get a pot of water boiling and drop in your boil in vac bags and 30 mins later if that you got yourself pipen hot burritos
    you can also do mac and cheese rice side dishes or anything else you could imagine this way
    don't get me wrong I still enjoy cooking over a campfire or on my camping smoker but this makes for alot of stuff that would be to time consuming to do while camping also it makes cleanup a breeze too
    anyone that stopped by our campsite during the national gathering knows bigredsbbq has always got something cooking even if its 4am
    Trevor

12. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just depends, if its me and grandsons and their dad, we take it out and cook there. Simple things sometimes but if we want somthing more we may do some cooking at home and warm it up out there.
    If you want eggs, I use a juice bottle and store the golden orbs inside it. No shells to mess with.
    You can make some really good meals by just cooking hobo dinners on the coals. You can also cook apples, eggs in a orange, dang im getting hungry.
    Rick

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    We do most of our prep at the campsite we do carry canned food just in case:smile2:

14. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    It all depends on what the purpose was for camping. Sometimes when hunting or fishing and times important I might do the quick and easy. If I have time, I like to cook with dutch ovens. Its all good.......

15. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Cooler for the suds, and water, Bread, sliced baloney and cheese. COFFEE. You got it, have been known to throw in some summer sausage and crackers. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Simple to eat in the boat, takes very little time away from fishing. Bet you never would guess I go without the bride.

16. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I generally try to avoid things that require refrigeration. While I'll bring fresh fruits, the bulk of the food is either prepackaged, dried, or canned. The instant cup noodles make for a good breakfast on a cold morning.

-- Rich

17. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    as far as meats we usually by pre-made patties and use as many canned things as possible.

18. catfishman38663

catfishman38663 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    i make it all up and freeze in coolers to take if it's meat and everything eles cook at home so all you have to do is warm it up on site and that way you can just sit back and enjoy your time getting to no everyone and relax after all thats what its all about having a good time and relaxing just getting away and being with the boc family and friends want to take avantage of it while you can

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    fix everything up before you go and package in cheapy gladware type bowls as individual servings. Then when someone's hungry, they grab their bowl, nuke it in a microwave, eat, toss the trash and go.

No clean up, no mess, and hot meals.

20. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most of the items I bring on camping trips is able to be cooked on the grate over an open fire or wrapped in foil and roasted in the coals. Or even cooked on a stick or mess holder.

My "cook box" has alot of foil, spices, and a cutting board ready to go.

Normally, when its just "the guys", its coffee and instant oatmeal for breakfast with fresh fruit and some trail snacks for the boat or hunting coat. When we come back for lunch, its a cup of soup or noddles, some crackers or pita bread with lunch meat and cheese. Snacks for the hunting coat or boat. Dinner is ussually hot dogs or burgers and chips and maybe cut up veggies or fruit. We normally don't cook game or fish on the same outing, unless we happen to be close to out limit. We take the time to relax and catch up on stuff.

You might noticed I make sure I add fresh fruit and veggies to our daily rations. I just feel better when I eat them and makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my body after an all night around the campfire man talk and adult refreshments.

Jerry