Food plots

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catman from owensboro, Aug 23, 2007.

1. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    I LIVE IN KY AND WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST FALL SEED TO PUT OUT IN A SMALL FOOD PLOT TO BRING THE DEER IN. HELP ME OUT ALL YOUR THOUGHT'S ARE NEEDED

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Clover for the deer and kale for the deer and the table.:wink:

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Wheat is the main thing we plant for them in the fall, we start planting the last week of Aug. if we can get any moisture, up till the middle of Oct.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I was thinking winter wheat but Ive never done a food plot, just something I know that other use.

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I like a mix of wheat, oats, and austrian winter peas. I will sometimes add clover and rape. If I had to pick just one it would be oats though.

6. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    SO FAR YOU GUYS GOT ME THINKING.THANKS ALOT

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Buck Forage Oats. It has worked the best for me

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The stuff won't grow just anywhere, but if your site will support it, clover is hard to beat, and is a perinneal.

It's not necessary to buy the high dollar seed marketed as game feed...go to a feed store, and ask for White Dutch Clover (ask for a packet of innoculant, too). This is the clover that volunteers in lawns everywhere.

Deer love it, and I've killed turkeys that were packed full of clover.

9. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have heard of using iron clay peas early then turning them under. I get best results with winter wheat. Fertilize w/13-13-13 then go back in mid Nov and fertilize again. Deer seem to like this tender regrowth.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like greens, they keep growin all winter, and will take a lot of deer feedin on it. Plus if you get hungry, just pull you up a mess, and take home with you.

11. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    whatever ya plant for best results do a soil sample. we use oats planted first and then we go back with imperial clover. if you do the soil sample its a little more $$$$$$(lime is cheap but not fertilizer) but mostly with ample water youll have a good return on the both of them for a few years. i think the longest we've got on the clover is 5 yrs. after the first year its good to lightly (very lightly) run a plow or root rake over the plot its called ticklin the roots. it stimulates growth like you wouldn't believe.

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Winter Rye will grow on gravel and germinate with dew. If you want something fast and green this is the way to go !!! I did this last summer and threw in some turnip seeds and the deer must of put it in there "grapevine" cause they were in their like fleas on a hounddog!! I put in food plots not to hunt over but to make sure deer and other animals have some good chow to eat. It is also a great way to observe behavior.

13. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Buck forage oats have always been a good fall producer for me.

14. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    thanks all i went with wheat and lidino clover.hope it brings the deer in