Food Plots

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by randallewis, Aug 16, 2009.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Time is drawing near. Whats everybody planting this year? I generally plant wheat or oats and fertilize w/ 13-13-13. I may have to cut back someplace fertilize is $20 a bag now.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Landino Clover. I need to get some lime first. Broke the ground up last week.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know weve tried to plant lots of different veggies here.. but the ground was so unfertile it didnt successfully grow we were so turned down.:sad2:

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Randal we have started not fertilizing when we plant thinking that we
    were wasting fertilzer by turning it to deep and our seed seeing little
    benefit. We plant now using very little if any fertilizer and then after
    it gets established we hit it hard with fertilizer. Then about the week
    before Christmas we hit them again with nitrate. The fields that have
    never been productive get wheat or oats only and no fertilizer.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hiya, Randall!! We're probably going to be planting alot of wheat; we had a guy give us about 75#! We haven't broken up any plots yet, but usually, even if we only spread it & run over it with the 4 wheeler, wheat seems to take hold real good here. I also saved some red clover seed; may try it, just to see if we can get some started.
    Randall, check out our local thread....We're gonna try to squeeze in one more tourney before the fall!

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Our farm coop. does soil samples for $15.00 each. You tell them what you want to plant and they send the soil to a lab. Lab does their magic and tells you exactly what chemicals to use and how much per acre for maximum yield. In my case clover, I need a ton of lime per acre and 110 pounds of phosphate and 380 pounds of potash per acre. and just a little 15 pounds of nitrogen per acre. My buddy with the best food plots also farms for a living. He said you might as well throw your money out the window as to not take advantage of what the lab tells you to do.

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Got my plots sprayed 3 weeks ago, I will be planting Buck Forage oats again this year with turnips as the buffer. I got 6 1/2 acres to get disked, I guess I better get the ball rolling if I want this in by the middle of September.

8. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I recently assisted my buddy in planting some Imperial Clover. It's a classic.