Food Plots

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by YeeHaw, Mar 10, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I'm going to start up a food plot for deer out in our woods. Would y'll please give me some recomended seeds for this, and how to maintain it? I'm starting out on some redclover and fescue with a little corn i don't know if that will work but please post some infomation. Thanks a lot.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hey man. I live here in ohio and we have 2 food plots out and we use red and white clover and turnips. we also have a home made feeder that holds 100lbs of cracked corn. all we did was go right about no maybe wait till next week and then tear up the ground then disk it ( or just slightly go over it with a tiller to break it up) then just put out the seed and then cover it with some hay/straw. wait till it gets real thick this summer and go in with a sycle and cut it down to about 4 inches and it will be perfect by the time season rolls around. this passed year we had a momma bed her twins in it... We had seen a 175+ class buck in the plot one after noon so try and see what works... best way is to experiment and im guessing we got it right this time.
    Good luck man!!!! happy hunting!!!

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Hey buddy thanks a lot i'll be out there next week tearing up the land. I can't wait till it starts growing. Thanks a lot.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    oh sorry i forgot u will need to get a PH test and see if it needs lime/fertilze i would say u can get a soil sample and take it to nearest farming place and have them test it.... make sure it will get plenty of water depending on the type of brand u use...

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Thanks a lot for this i'll keep ya updated on how it's going. I'll have my grandpa test the soil, and get out to the farm and start soon.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    YeeHaw

I see under your profile, that you have a farm so you prob know about the ph levels in your soil. It would be best to get the soil tested, Crushed lime will adjusted your levels in the soil. I have never used the food plot system but I have always seen lots of deer in our corn feilds and alalfa feilds when I was living in Kansas before I joined the service.

chris

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    No problem, always willing to share my knowledge!! "and when it starts to twist be more like chris, and pull ur hat down tight, and just ledoux it..... Garth Brooks!!!!

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Yeah Chris we tested our soil last year but it always changes, but we will probley test it soon. The best place i see deer too is out in our fields and expectally out hay fields. Sometimes in our pastures when we reseed them too.

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hey i would also suggest maybe digging a small watering hole(if dont exceed ur budget plan) and also Honey Suckle works good in timers that u have cut out of the way and shoved up or just grow some up the side of a tree.... i wouldnt suggest putting any salt additives close or in the plot whereas it may burn up the grass/food

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I was thinking about putting a watering hole there too but there is a creek right by the spot where i want to put the plot at anyway.

11. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    All of this sounds like some very good information. I live in Indiana and own 120 acres. 68 acres of that is in a wildlife management plan. We plant clover, sorgum, corn, soybeans, sunflowers, and millet for all wildlife. But the best thing that I have found to plant if you are planning on hunting over your foodplot is Biologic. My best plots are very small plots that I have planted in the center of the woods anywhere that is geting enough sunlight. To Make a plot I use a tiller and work up a spot that is about 20'x20' broadcast the seed and then go over it with a rake to burry it in.

Hope this helps and good luck next season!!!

12. mcclinj

mcclinj New Member

State:
    Ligonier, PA
    Instead of covering the seed, you might try just pounding it into the soil by stepping on it or by walking over a piece of plywood or something similiar. Soil contact is one of the most important aspects of germination

-John

13. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Here in Tennessee the Wildlife Agency has a food plot program where the Wildlife Agency supplies you with the mixed plot seed to plant FREE !

The mixed seed for food plots has fescue, corn, milo, soy beans, oats, sun flower, and several other types of seed. It is designed for small game as well as big game. They suggest planting it close to the woods line instead of out in the middle of open fields.

Call your Wildlife Agency and tell them how much acreage you have and they will let you know how much seed they will provide you...the more acreage you have the more seed they will give you.

14. cottonwoodsforever

cottonwoodsforever New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I highly recommend Imperial Whitetail Clover. Tried using the cheaper mossy oak seed blends, and also just buying white ladino clover from a local seed store...and the Imperial clover drew deer at a ratio of at least 3 to 1 over the others. I also got the best stand and least number of weeds from the expensive stuff.

15. htfryar

htfryar New Member

State:
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    My stepdad and I have been using food plots for the last 3 or 4 years. Our land joins onto a golf course that is part of a gated community. We have 40 acres of land with a creek and a pond on it. About 20 acres of this is prime bedding area with thick brush and briars as well as big oak trees. The creek runs right along this area. On one end of the bedding area, we have a 2 acre plot that we plant in the spring and again in the fall.

In the spring, first part of April, we bush hog the spot even if there are still plants growing. We then use the blade on the tractor to scrape the ground clean. We then plow the soil with hte tractor and then disc it to smooth it out. We take a soil sample and fertilize accordingly. In the spring, we plant Pennington Rackmaster Deluxe. It is a mixture of soybeans, cowpeas, sorghum, buckwheat and sunflowers. The sunflowers grow fast and give the beans and peas something to climb. We also like to put out some watermelons, honeydews and cantaloupes around the edges of this plot in the spring. The deer bust the melons with their hooves and eat them like a kid with candy.

In the fall, first of September, we bushhog and blade back down to bare dirt again. We plow and disc it again. We take another soil sample and fertilize accordingly. We then plant a mixture of Biologic products. We like Maximum and Green Patch Plus. These 2 products give us a good mixture of clover, turnips (brassicas), wheat and oats.

We also have a deer feeder that will fill with a 50/50 mixture of corn and deer pellets. We keep the feeder full year round. We have it sitting in a little stand of hardwood trees near a main deer trail. This spot is the opposite end of the property from the food plot.

Along the creek about halfway between the deer feder and the food plot, we have a mineral lick. We use Trophy Rock brand deer blocks. We tried regular salt blocks and the Deer Co-Cane stuff, but have found that the deer actually use the Trophy Rock brand blocks a lot more. We use the 16 lb blocks and have to replace them every 3 months or so.

Since our land joins onto a golf course, where there is no hunting pressure at all, we have to draw the deer away from the sanctuary of the golf course. The mix of foodplot, deer feeder and mineral lick is the best we can come up with.

Here are links to the products we use...

http://www.seedland.com/Merchant/me...oduct_Code=WG-SS-DEL-50&Category_Code=RM-DEER

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=8&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=8&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat600356&hasJS=true

16. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea I would forget about the fescue as well. I would stick with clover or something of the sort. If you are wanting to buy seed I would recommend imperial. they are more expensive, but worth it. They also make no-till mix, exteme, etc. Check out their website. Winter wheat works really well as well. It all depends on how much sunlight, etc. you get in the area and if its a bow or gun hunting plot. Good luck!