Food for thought....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Catfish-fever, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There seems to be a lot of people who preach CPR for catfish... and some of those very same people have no respect for any other species of fish. If you are going to display CPR, then it needs to be conservation of ALL animal species. Simple killing off a certain part of an eco system doesn't make things all better. Although I will not disagree that paylake owner contribute to the depletion of our trophy catfish; much of the damage to our trophy fish species happened during the first depression. Talk to your grandparents, any fish caught was eligible to be put in a frying pan.

Even if we do stop all the illegal fish harvesting done by paylakes here in Ohio, they will just buy the fish from a state that has creel limits that are even less strict than ours. I think we need slot limits on all popular gamefish species including catfish in that regulation. However, it will still take another generation for those changes to make a difference. And again, there are just not enough fish and game agents to police the water like that. Bottom line, we are responsible for reporting suspicious activity. All outdoorsman need to have the appropriate numbers to call on speed dial. Also, as it was said we should all have a camera with us to collect evidence. It is not just catfish that are being abused, last year a group of fisherman was caught with well over the creel limit of walleye in the maumee. I think they had over 100 fish that they intended to sell to a seafood market. You can't tell me that the paylake industry is the only one that cuts corners to make a profit. Anyway, I believe in the conservation of all animals... and to be truely conservation minded you also have to have a mindset of selective harvest. Every creature has itsplace in an eco system.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Your absolutely right on here. It's all about each an everyone one of us doing our duties when we see a violation an to takes notes an what have you an also report this.

3. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i figure anything of size i toss back. i have even thrown crappie back because they were abnormally large. i rarely eat fish so i cpr 99% of my fish hell most of the time i dont even "P" em. you should never keep a trophy anything. let em go make more trophys

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bryan I totally agree with you. Good post.

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    It is also illegal for pay lakes to buy out of state fish from unliscensed sellers. In some cases they may be prosecuted in both states and/or under federal laws for transporting across state lines.

Garry-

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i think most do well for conservation and take all animal species in account,but where do you draw the line at?instead of killing a deer,shoot it with a paintball gun because most speculate might speculate most hunt deer for sport rather than food?

i don't believe in eating a flat,does that mean i shouldn't eat a channel?

and.just what is conservation,i think i am being that when i throw back any fish i don't plan on eating,except carp,of course,they all go back.

it comes down to ethics,what every individual thinks what is right and what is not.nothing will be perfect for everyone,or even acceptable,just have to find a way to get by it or it will eat you alive.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    stupid double post :sad2:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF YOUR GOING TO HUNT OR FISH AND YOU KILL IT OR CATCH IT. THEN EAT IT, OR GIVE IT TO SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL EAT IT. DON'T WASTE IT. I DON'T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO WILL CATCH A CARP OR GAR THEN KILL IT JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE IT. WHY NOT THROW IT BACK IN FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO ENJOY CATCHING IT FOR THE FUN OF THE FIGHT OR TO MAKE DINNER OUT OF IT. THAT WOULD BE A START IN CONSERVATION, OR PROTECTING THE FUTURE FOR OTHER HUNTERS, OR FISHING PERSONS.

9. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The sad truth about conservation... some species need to be managed buy some gross means. We hunt deer so they don't suffer a horrible death after being hit by a car. People bow fish for alligator gar and leave them on the river bank for other scavenger species to feast on. All animals need a natural predator in order to keep populations to a level that the particular environment they are in can support. Although, many of the fish we consider rough fish are perfectly edible and can be quite tasty. Fresh water drum for instance can be a very tasty fish... but most people see them as a pest. I feel like too many anglers fish with a tournament fishers mentality, any fish other than the target species is a junk fish and is a waste of time. Although, I dare say that a 5 pound carp can pull at least as hard if not harder than any flathead or channel cat... I can't conpare a blue cat because I have yet to catch one. I am easy going... as long as I catch something, it doesn't matter what tugs my line.

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I'm trying to make sense of the part of your post about why we hunt deer.

11. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Deer are hunted in part for the same reason that we fish.... sport. Granted there are some cruel people out there who will shoot an animal and leave it for dead. Be that as it may, if we didn't hunt animals, be it deer, rabbits or and other critter that breeds and reproduces in large numbers, we would be overrun by them. Deer would eventually overpopulate to the point that they would eat all our crops, wreck all our vehicles and eventually consume all of the available forage to sustain them. Everyone who tried to plant tulips would have them eaten, any back yard garden would be quickly consumed. Responsible harvest is necessary in order to ensure survival of all species on earth. Even if a hunter does shoot an animal and leave to die, there are plenty of way that the carcus will be used.... if nothing else as fertilizer for the trees in the forest.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    wow garrett,how could you not get that?

he is saying that by hunting deer,we are keeping the population in check which means there is less competition which means lees stress on the deer which means there is less suicide by deer throwing themselves in front of cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just wow garrett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy::crazy:

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    but there is a season on hunted animals and how much you can take,to keep man from making them extinct like he almost did with the deer and buffalo.there are no seasons on catfish,for instance.except the one over 35 inches per day for each flat and channel.other than that,no more than 6 channels taken out of a 700 acre lake or less.
    i really don't know why anyone would even consider eating a fish over 35 inches just for the fact of the amount of pollutants in the fish itself.