Food for shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by ka_c4_boom, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    shad eat plankton and other microscopic organisms , if the shad are there skippies will be too for they eat shad and catfish wont be far behind due to they eat both shad and skippies .

plankton feed on sunlight they are formed thru photosynthesis , if you provide artificial sunlight you can mass produce plankton which will intern draw in the bait fish and along the same course catfish .

what lighting system do i need that will run on a 12 volt battery to provide artificial sunlight ?
    would flouresant lights do this ? and if so , are there any that are submersible in water ?
    i want a method of increaseing the bait fish in an area around the bottom of my boat .
    bugs and other insects are drawn to the light , perhaps plankton which are basicaly water bugs are drawn the same way .

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Chuck,I think you are barking up a dead tree,lol For your idea to work the plankton would have to stay under your boat,I think the river current would inhibit this. If you sat in a lake it would take days to develop. I would just concentrate on the; light brings bait fish angle. They already sell those. :0a26:

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    ah now jack you cant blame me for trying :lol:

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, if you have a floating dock, yes, you can increase the plankton by running lights 24/7 directly in the water around your dock. HOWEVER, this can also cause another problem called HIGH electric bill.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use a 12 volt submersible flourescent lamp made by Optronics, it draws very low amperage & can be submerged 50'. It is dark green colored, there is suppose to be something special about the color green in regards to bait attractant.

It works great, so I don't argue the thought:tounge_out:

6. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    when i want to catch shad at night i hang a lantern off the side of boat or a tree limb that hangs over the water heck ive even hung it off bridges.....it takes thirty minutes to an hour but there will be hundreds of shad swiming in circles under the light. i have friends that use this tactic when crappie fishing and it always seems to work for that i dont know why it wouldnt work for cats as well

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It wouldn't work Chuck, sorry man. You would need to sit for days, probably weeks to grow plankton. And it would require more than just simple lights. It takes a more high energy light (shorter wavelength). I bet a halide lighting system would be the cheapest possible means, and that would be at least 1000 bucks, probably more along the lines of 3000. Nice idea though, i wish it would work. maybe we could grow taco's though???