Food Chain Attention

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you pay close attention to the movement of the food chain around you? Examples; Dragon Flies, Grasshoppers. May Flies, Persimmons, Bird Droppings/Roosts or Bait Fish (Shad, Skipjack) breaking the water. Your ideas and experiences.

2. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally always watch stuff like that. Not only is it entertaining when bite is slow it also helps me overanalyze my fishing. For instance for a baitfish to be in an area they need food and to me insects would be decent food. So if i see all kinds of mayflies, waterskippers, waterspiders, whatever then i assume there should be decent baitfish in the water (not always true) But i try to pay attension to stuff like that to think ahead.

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am pretty much a obseritive person overall. I even keep track of certain star movement in the sky. But id rather watch the animals,fish and insects. I love looking for the sign of the seasons changeing too. Oh ya, and the weather too.

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My husband & I have noticed that, when fishing the river, anywhere there's alot of logs/sticks jammed up..if there are several snakes lounging around, there's usually a good bed of bream. I had to learn to get past being afraid those critters would get in the boat with me, but when the fish are biting, I'm more than willing!
    Also, if we see an area with alot of herons or pelicans hanging around, there are usually alot of baitfish; and baitfish=catfish!

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, those are some things I take note on when on the water:wink:

6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Yes , I watch these things.
    Not just fishing , but in other aspects of life as well. It helps me plan my next course of action.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Mickey....been doing that "looking stuff" most of my life as my parents were outdoors folks.... being a bow hunter pushed me over the limit with the game, and then I've always been a fisherman.... so the bait fish and things of prey were always there as well...

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Its all about being out there and payin attention to nature. Match the hatch, see nature, see the seasons, flood, drought, times of plenty and scarcity. Like roadkill, sometimes there is more than others.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I watch many things in nature to help with fishing , hunting , and seasons . Such as how big the band on a wolly worm is , helps guess the winter we will have . Or if the moss is growing thick on the trees the more moss on the south side of the tree the harder the coming winter. One can also watch squirrels burying their nuts: the deeper they bury them the lower the lowest temperature will be for the upcoming winter. Fruit trees blooming twice in one year are a certain sign the winter will be severe, and when rabbits habitually take shelter in brush piles a severe winter is assured.
    Also things like The first killing frost comes precisely 90 days after the first katydids begin to sing. Keep your ears open and mark that calendar!

There are three infallible methods of predicting snowfall for the coming year so take your pick:
    1) Count the number of foggy mornings in August. This number will be the same as the number of snowfalls for the following winter, or if you're not a morning person...
    2) Count the number of days from the first snowfall until Christmas. This number will also give the correct number of snowfalls to expect, or...
    3) Count the number of days from the first snowfall of the season to the preceding New Moon. This, too, will tell you what the coming winter will bring.

A fact well-known to our ancestors but hardly ever taught today is that when snow lies in drifts in the shade and refuses to melt, these drifts become "snow breeders" which attract more snow. Also, if the sun shines while snow is falling, expect more snow very soon. If your dog howls at the moon it signifies an early snow. And remember, a white Christmas means a green Easter (and vice versa). This is an excellent way to gauge the length of winter since it gives you an idea of what to expect several months in advance.

Keep an eye on your cat. If your cat sits with its back to a heat source you can expect cold weather. By the same token, a cat that sits with its back to the wind also signifies cold weather soon. If your cat frisks about the house you know a storm is brewing.

The Moon is also an important short term weather indicator. When you see a ring around the Moon count the number of stars inside and this will tell you the number of days to the next bout of precipitation. If the Moon has two rings encircling it, expect snowfall within 24 hours.

Sometimes reading animal behavior is quite easy. Most deer hunters recognize that when a squirrel barks, something (or somebody) is on the move. Other animals also hear the squirrel’s alarm, and temporarily go into an alert mode.

Some turkey hunters and crappie fisherman view the dogwood’s bloom as a signal of the opportune time to search for their quarry.

Seagulls and terns seen diving at a school of bait fish are usually a reliable indicator that there are larger game fish feeding on the bait fish from below

Raccoon hunters know the best time to hunt is during a new or quarter moon, due to the fact that raccoons are most active at night during low intensity moonlight

If you enjoy spending time outdoors, pay attention Mother Nature. She has many ways in which to convey knowledge about our landscape’s inhabitants. Plants, animals, weather, tides, and lunar phases contribute clues that can help you understand the complex outdoor world, enabling you to become a better outdoorsman. Though many interactions between plants and animals are now understood, there are still many yet to be realized. By using your five senses, you can sometimes recognize and understand Mother Nature’s messages

:0a26: