fontana lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by recatfish, Apr 5, 2008.

1. recatfish

recatfish New Member

State:
    north carolina
    never see anything posted on this lake just wondering if anybody ever fish it and if so hows the fishing this time of year

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Never fished there. But I do know from a sports writer that the small mouth bass are tearing it up. In the recent past, there was a thread about catfish there and it was not favorable.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    never been there but im sure somoene on here has, is it a very big lake

4. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i fish it regularly but not for cats. its a good smallmouth lake as well as walleye but NOT for cats. its so deep and not very fertile there are a few channels and if you catch a flathead its gonna be a bigun but you may have to fish 5 days for three fish that average 4 pounds . thats why i drive 2 hours in any direction befoer i catfish. hope this helps

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The former state record channel came from the Fontana Res. at 40.8lb in 1971 , but a couple of years back some pics were released and the record was dismissed due to the fish in the pic was a Flathead! So there should be some nice flats to be caught as well as channels!