Fontana Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ketch M, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Ketch M

Ketch M New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hi There all you catters,
    I am going up to Waynesville in april to fish with my son, has anyone out there ever fished for cats in Fontana Lake? Any advise you can give me will be greatly appreciated. We will be fishing from a John Boat. Neither of us know very much about his kind of fishing

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've never heard of anyone catfishing in Fontana. I know there are trout, walleye and smallmouth up there I think. If there are shad in the lake or other abundant bait fish, I'm sure there will be some type of catfish up there. Channels would be my guess or whites and bullheads. hope ya'll catch something!

3. Ketch M

Ketch M New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks big time for your response. In the ads for the lake they specify cats but dont say what kind.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    might want to pm roundhill up on this one. i think hes fished there before or maybe a search here. i think he said to fish the upper arms of the lake for channels and think there is a few flatheads in there also. i think thats where the suppose to be old state record channel cat was caught that turned out to be a flathead. i seen a small post on this lake a while back. good luck to ya.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ditto on Roundhill. That's his old stomping grounds. I've heard him talk about catching them up there. :smile2:

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    ketchm fishing the lake is a adventure everyone out to do at least one time it is very deep and clear the most senic lake in the world truly gods country it has a lot of catfish and some giant ones channells and flats most of the fishing is around the shoreline becouse of the depth so its better to use spinning gear with diferant bates shad nightcrawlers with small weights or none at all its better up the rivers most of the time however down the lake is good you never know what you will catch good luck.ron howard

7. quailman

quailman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wish i could help but never fished there good luck

8. Ketch M

Ketch M New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks lots to all who responded especially to Roundhill. I am counting the days till I go.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Okay, I've only fished there one time, but I will post my expierence.

We went a few Summers ago in like July, fished ALL night into early morning, did not even get one bite...BUT, we could not rent a boat, and there was hardly any bank fishing access. We stopped by a bait shop/marina place, probably where you are renting the boat from, and they had a whole livewell full of NICE Channel Cats. We talked to some guys there and they said there was some big Flatheads and Channels in there. It's a strange area up there, and the route we took was a HORRIBLE ride, the curves were just unbelievable, and the road was very small.

By the way, we actually could see a lot of Walleye up there.

10. whiteelephant

whiteelephant New Member

State:
    florida
    Have a friend that has caught some serious smallmouth out of Fontana