Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Fontana Lake - Gotta Know!

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RiverratSC 
#1 ·
Well this is our first Post. We LOVE to fish, I will say we are beginers on the lake. We bought our first boat and have been out so very MANY times! We love Trout Fishing we catch them all day long. But we cant catch a catfish on our lake for nottin! I know we have massive size Catfish in our lake but we just cant figure it out. I myself am old fashion and belive you can catch anything with a worm. We've even used stink bait, but it's obviously not working. I have to seek words from the wise here.
What the heck are we doing wrong that we cant catch Catfish!:eek:oooh:

#4 ·
Welcome Monica to BOC...you have definately picked the right spot to learn the fine art of catfishing! I have been a member for approx. 6 months, and like you, thought you could catch ALL fish with a worm, haven't bought any night crawler for about 4 months. Read other member's posts, use the library, and you will be surprised how soon you will be bringing those cats in...
Linda

#5 ·
Not sure about that lake but, a good start would be to ask around to see what kind of catfish are in there. Once you know what kind is in there it is easier to target them. You could try some cutbait, such as cut bluegill or shad. Live bait probably wont produce right now since its wintertime. Your probably going to find your biggest concentrations of fish in deep water right now. Just read all the information on this website and you'll be a pro before you know it. If you have more questions I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to help you out. Also on questions the more direct the better, I could write a 400 page book about your question.

#7 ·
i fish fontana pretty regularly but for smallmouth i have catfished it in the springtime and the trick there is to associate yourself with some current. go up one of the rivers feeding the lake till you barely can tell theres current and start fishing from there up with cut bait and livers. be careful as you get shallower though. i would definitely try this in the spring though as i have never fished for anything but smallmouth in the winter . hope this helps you out and good luck you should catch some decent sized channel cats out of there and may stumble upon a nice flathead if you put out some live bait near one of the rock cliffs

#10 ·
Welcome to the BOC! There is a fortune of information on this site. I fished Fontana with the late Luther Turpin for walleye afew years ago. While jigging green nite crawlers we caught several good sized catfish. We were fishing around Hazel Creek area. Hope this will work for you. Keep us updated on Fontana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.