Folding Colony Traps .....

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Aug 30, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I don't know how many people on here uses Colony traps for muskrats, but I find them really great, especially trapping marshes, ponds or small runs with many narrow places of flowing water. In the past I have stacked my truck bed about half full of colony traps and ended up making several trips back to truck, because you can only carry so many of them because they are so bulky. A friend of mine gave me a couple some years ago that folded up and I found them to be great and much easier to carry and I could carry more of them to the marsh.

After retunring to Ohio (from Florida) last year I started lining up places to trap this fall and many of the places are ideal for using colony traps. Since I had sold all of my traps many years ago I decided to first buy a few on the folding colony traps. Then I saw the prices. Wow ... what used to sell for $3.50 are now $7.95 and up in price ... so I decided to build my own.
    During this process I am taking photos and going to be writing up detailed instructions for you to build them for yourself. This process isn't real difficult and I do it while watching TV in the evening. I can build them for less than $2.50 each and they fold well for carrying, transporting and storing. When I get finished with the instruction I will let all know through a post on here and if you are interested, in plans on building them, I will be happy to send you a free copy by email .... I hope to be selling it on- line to others, but will give my friends on here a free copy .... Garry- :cool2:

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    great idea, and gives something to do while waiting and anticipating the season. Saving a lot of labor cost there and transportation, which is a big part of prices.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea they work great and are a very simple trap. I like using them also. I'll look forwards to seeing your home made ones.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I just snapped a couple of photos to give you an idea .... the photo of one trap is a finished trap ... they are 5 inches square and 30 inches long .... I the other photo ... to give you an idea of the difference there is between folded and non-folded ... there are 9 folded traps laying beside 2 regulars that don't fold. the 9 equal the height of one or about 5 inches in height.
    Since I started this venture I have made them 4 or 5 different ways and have finally come to the point of the easiest, cheapest way, without sacrificing the quality. Garry-

Attached Files:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry, im out of thanks and reps.. but this is library material! I look forward to learning more from you as well... im gonna try to get this thread in the library....thanks for sharing.. rollo

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    can you give a better description on how they are made, and what they do? rollo

7. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Great info Garry. Wish we had some muskrats down here. I've never seen one within a hundred miles of my house. Got them north, east, and south of me, but none here! Makes me wonder if you couldn't build a beaver trap similar to that?????????

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hmmmmmmmm .... I don't know about your beaver down there .... but up here we get quite a few beaver between 60 and 80 pounds .... so would need to build it out of rebar up here ..... :wink: Garry-

9. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    35 to 45 pound average down here for adults. I catch a couple over 60 each year. Caught one about 7 or 8 years ago that went 70 even. I've caught better than a thousand in the last ten years. Maybe I'm just pickin' them a little early!!!!:cool2:

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Man ... that is great .... you must have a lot more down there than we do ..... Garry-

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Not any more!!!!:big_smile:

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Guys ..... Wanted to let you know that I have completed the instructional piece on how to build the folding colony trap. It cam to 11 pages with 11 photos. I sent it to Bryan aka Whistler to put it in the Library, but if any of you would like a couple that you can print and have in front of you .... if you will PM me with your eamil address I will be happy to send along a file in .doc format. It is about 2.1 mega-bytes of material. It took me 4 days to write it and get the photos for it. I apologize that some of the photos didn't come out as clear and sharp as I would have liked, but think most of them a allegeable. ...... Garry-

13. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I made 2 dozen of those traps last year, and they worked great. They became the only traps that I used for rats. I caught a lot of triples and one time I caught four in one trap. They really pack themselves in there.

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Has anyone tried to make any of the folding colony traps by following my directions yet ....??? .... Garry-

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    haven't yet bro... But I will as soon as I get some time.. I have to add to everyone.... I know Garry, and he showed me one he made, mighty fine looking trap, and durable! I look forward to learning more about trapping from him in the upcoming months! rollo