fogging oil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 11, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was told the other day that spraying this into my carb till it kills the engine before i winter it helps lube and store the motor. before i go squirting anything into a good running motor thought ide ask a few Q's. ive never used the stuff.

also if i remember right its better to fill the gas tank and use stabilizer than to empty right? don't it build condinsation if its enpty? i have a 20 gal alum tank. its full now and will only be ran maybe a couple more times out and will be back in action by mar so it don't sit very long dormant.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Cats,it is better to fill and stabilize the gas tank.Condensation does build up if less than full.Fogging the engine is standard winterizing procedure.It prevents rust and corrosion build-up on the internal portion of the cylinders.Be sure and use fogging oil made by the engine manufacturers.You may want to pull your plugs and clean them before starting up in the spring.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    If you have an owner's manual, you can get the proper winterizing information from it. My manual for an Evinrude says to never disconnect the gas line and run the motor out of fuel. It also shows to connect the can of fogging oil to a fitting on the primer solenoid and to follow directions on the can.

You need to put a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and run it a while before storage. Stabil or OMC 2X4 conditioner or similar.

I don't fog mine because I use it during the winter, but I always add Stabil to the fuel just in case I have to let it sit for a while. I also do the garden tractor and weedeater every fall.

4. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I seen a few posts mentioning to disconnect the gas line before fogging the motor.I leave mine on and spray the fog until motor stalls out.Never seemed to have a problem doing it that way.
    Just follow the directions on the can,i run mine during the winter but if we get a heavy snow or lotta ice on the river i'll fog it.

Another thing you might consider is carbon guard.Its applied the same as the fog but helps reduce piston rings from sticking and i noticed it helps clean up any buildup of oil from the oil injection.

After adding the fuel stabil run it for a bit on a hose or take 1 last trip out with it to get mixed in good with the fuel.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya thats what i heard. to spray into untill it stalls. i use stay bil in my gas and its full now so i will top it off before i close it down.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sure glad to see you guys passing some good information around. It seems like very few knew anything about taking care of their engines on the old site when I joined a few yrs ago.

Many of my past 5000+ posts on that site were about stabilizers and taking care of your fuel.

Ya'll keep up the good work.

Jeremy, use the fogging oil without worry. Run it out of your engine with the old plugs, then put in new ones.

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Somebodys been learning us all at the old site!....lol

I would think any boat owner would agree he is the best ,one of the most informative and probaly also most used feature on the board