foam

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by swampeast, Aug 24, 2008.

1. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    hey i was jus wondering if any of yall knew what cause all that foam in a bait tank and what can be done about it

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    regurtutation from your baitfish caused by stress and overcrowding. You might want to thin out your bait some and keep the water cool.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Believe it or not Rusty uses C.C. in his bait tank. seems to work real well.

4. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    Thanks thats rite it happened after I put a bunch more bait in with what I already had. Whats C.C.?

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    a little rock salt will help also

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    C.C. = coffee creamer

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if you use c.c. it sinks it into the water, skim it off with a net dont sink it, jmo

8. riverdog77

riverdog77 New Member

State:
    indiana
    cc works great just a little on top of water = no foam

9. Telly

Telly Guest

...what cause all that foam in a bait tank and what can be done about it?

DROPPING SOME KNOWLEDGE

Foam in your bait tank is a symptom of severe stress as another poster mentioned. It's a symptom that something is seriously wrong like pain is a symptom that something is wrong with people.

Stress automatically causes the fish to produce extra mucus from mucus cells in the skin under the scales. That excessive mucus production pushes the scales out further away from the skin making then easier to knock off. Mucus is protein and when protein is exposed to gas bubbles (aerated/agitated) the result is foam in your livewell.

Any surfactant or chemicals that act like surfactant (CC) breaks down surface tension of mucus (the bubble) reducing them to liquid. When you look into the livewell and you just want to hide the foam symptom, surfactants will hide it, but keep in mind you are only hiding the real water quality problems causing the (foam) excess mucus production. You are NOT eliminating the stressors causing the stress so you're really just pretending there's nothing wrong in your livewell when you hide the foam with chemicals.

The most serious stressor for all live bait/live fish in any bait tank and livewell is hypoxia and cellular oxygen debt that goes uncorrected. Low dissolved oxygen is the most serious water quality problem you can have in the bait tank. That is usually caused by either by overstocking your bait tank, poor bait tank water quality, insufficient oxygenation and mechanical aeration.

Eliminate the stressor, your hypoxic livewell water quality problem, and the foam will go away naturally and your bait will not produce excessive mucus and be much healthier.

Many fishermen perceive foam as the problem which is another old myth still promoted by outdoors' writers and livewell chemical salesmen. Foam is a symptom of stress, but foam is not the problem. Getting rid of the symptom does not correct the stress, it’s still there killing your bait.

Foam is not the enemy, it’s a warning to alert you that something is bad wrong in your livewell. This is how live bait communicates with you (fish talk) telling you there a problem and the problem that is killing me. Please fix this problem for me before it kills me.