Foam Noodles causing Corrosion?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Bigun, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    One of those things that has been learned the hard way is that the white foam fishing noodles deteriorate if left exposed to sunlight laying in the bottom of the boat. We normally contain them in a nylon mesh bag. After a few months they start to crumble on the outside. A fishing buddy of mine is discovering pin holes in the bottom of his boat which does not have a floor in it. Another acquaintance has the same problem and says that it is caused by the foam particles. The boat is a late 70’s model that has more use than most. Does anyone know if the foam is the culprit? He is planning to remove the motor turn it upside down and have a rino liner finish applied to the outside. This is a wide 16 ft flat bottom he has a 75 hp Johnson so there is enough power to spare. What are your thoughts? Will it work? Will it stay on? How will the boat perform???

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont like it for a couple of reasons but its not my boat.
    It like putting vinyl siding on the side of a wooden house because the wood is rotting. Covering up a problem isn't fixing.

Just the other day someone told me his boss filled the pontoons on his boat with expanding foam to make it float higher in the water. That wont do the trick as air is lighter then foam but the real dilemma is now that his pontoons are foam filled whats he going to do when he knocks a hole in his toon?
    Cant weld or braze it.
    Same here. You'll have to try to remove the stuff for a real repair.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though I have heard it was battery acid which causes the pinholes in aluminum. Perhaps there was a batter spill around those noodles and that is the culprit instead of the noodles. But, maybe it could be a chemical reaction.... I'd make sure the batteries were all in battery boxes first.

4. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    When I had my boat sprayed the guy made sure I was aware that it would not stop any leaks.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If the battery was anywhere near where the pinholes are the culprit is probably the battery acid. When charging a battery acidic vapors leave the battery and will etch into alum., concrete, etc. especially if being overcharged or charged too quickly. A battery box is a must, especially for a alum. boat.
    I don't have a clue about the noodles but IMO I can't figure out any reason why the noodles could cause corrosion in alum. Just my opinion.

6. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Somewhat of a differant story, but might be a little relavant:

We installed some hanging heaters in what was supposed to be a warehouse, then someone comes along and starts cutting foam in there for furniture.

Units didn't make it through the yfirst year after that.

Apparently foam does something the factory refers to as "out gas" where some of the, i guess, expanding agent seeps out of the foam.

This combined with the heat from the heaters turn this gas into hydrocloric acid and ate the heat exchangers up in the heater with a quickness.

Food for thought.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The best way to treat the pinholes would be to have a patch welded into the area. Failing that, sand the area well and clean it with muratic acid (READ THE DIRECTIONS) and then apply an epoxy such as Hysol 4960 (a Loctite product) to the area. Apply the epoxy thinly on the outside of the boat and a thicker coat on the inside...W

Many plastics, especially foams will outgas for quite a while when they are new or subjected to heat. As Clovis said, some of the gasses can be corrosive or harmful...W

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm faced with pitted aluminum below the water line on the pontoons.
    I thought maybe we could reskin the bottom halves and we could. The biggest problem other then the cost of sheet aluminum is that anytime the aluminum pits or holes , its been opened up for contamination.
    You go to weld it and you blow a hole that you might have to chase 2 or 3 inches before you can fill it back up.
    Aluminum is like a living metal. Its easy to learn how to weld it with practice but its not easy to work with.

Take care of those aluminum boats and be careful of what you put on or in them.
    That 4 dollar can of paint might cost you hundreds or thousands in repair or the loss of a boat.
    Know whats in any product you use on aluminum.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the infro on aluminum boats brothers :0a31:

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Never use an aluminum boat as a ground. Quickest way I've heard of to pop pinholes in it. When it starts, there's no turning it around.