Foam? Do i need it?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by OkieBo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have a 14ft V boat i am rigging up for my fishing likes. There is two bench seats that have foam under the boards. Do i need them in there? Will they actually save my boat from completely sinking? I would not think so. The front bench seat is going to be a part of a small deck/ livewell. And the back seat i will probably put a hinge on it and use it for storage. Thanks in advance!

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Most boats will float with vry little boyant material. Think of how much it takes to keep a two liter bottle underwater. I wouldnt take it out without putting some floatation in somewhere else if possible. I used some plywood and created a flat deck in the front of my lil boat. I could store stuff in it and even put a hasp so I could lock it down. I bet you could add another to keep you livewell inplace.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Heck no, you don't need that foam and never will unless the boat sinks and then it will be the most important thing in or on that boat. So, if you don't plan on sinking it, tear it out and then pray.

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I wouldnt recommend it from a safety standpoint. Better to be safe than sorry.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I would not take it out. If you do, is there a place you could pour/spray more in. Watching your boat sink would suck!
    Bill

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    That foam is there for a reason and yes it will float your boat if you leave it in or replace it with an equal amount of floatation.:rolleyes:

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would leave it in and try to work around it.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Better safe than sorry my Brother. The time may never come and lets pray it doesn't, but if it did, you will need that foam. Maybe a different way of thinkin' is in order for your boat Sir.

9. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The only reason I even questioned this is that i have seen some newer small jon boats with no foam at all. The foam that is in there is cut up in squares and just laid there. About 10 pieces per seat. Is there a spray in alternative? Something i can form around my livewell? I will have room just forward of the front seat. I will have my small deck here and will have plenty of room under it for foam. But if i want it to be "equally balanced" that would mean i would have to leave the back seat foam in.

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I have heard people doing just what you are doing. Instead of replacing the foam somewhere else, they put beach balls in the places under the deck where there is space. You can place a beach ball undeflated in a space and blow it up, and it will form in the space you desire. Just the down fall, if they ever got a hole in them.

11. carl j roach

carl j roach New Member

State:
    florida
    all i can say is the people thta built your boat think more of you an your life than you do. the foam is in there for your safty. if you take some out, put some back, better to be safe than not be here. good look,carl

12. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Will say one thing, one time on a trip to canada, my boat was docked and we had storms from a recent hurricane over night. Waves came in over the boat and filled it up with water. Some boats sank. My boat, with foam under front and back bench, was just above the surface and I got in it and bailed it out. With out it, It would have sunk. Just my experience.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Federal law requires a certain amount of floation foam in nearly every new boat produced - not sure when the law went into effect, but it's been on the books quite a while. So I'd bet those jon boats you saw had foam in them, you just couldn't see it.

Understand that the foam doesn't help the boat float under normal conditions; it keeps the boat from completely sinking if it gets swamped with water.

You can read all about the requirements for floatation foam on this US Coast Guard web site: http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/flotation_landing.htm

I would no more depend on an underinflated beach ball than a piece of driftwood lodged under the seats.

You can buy pourable and sprayable expanding foam that will mold to any contour. Search the web for "Floatation Foam" and you'll find tons of info.

14. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can buy cans of sprayable foam at Wallyworld that work really well

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Foam in a can is insulating foam not flotation foam.
    You need a closed cell foam which comes in different pound ratings like 2, 4, 6,8 etc. They will be a two part foam.
    Word to the wise. Dont mix up a nice big batch and pour it into a compartment that will restrict expansion. It will destroy your boat by busting the seams , the glass , the wood , or whatever else it may be made of.
    Small batches.
    If a compartment overfills, cut of the excess and throw it into the next compartment and pour foam over it.

People have used 2 liter drink bottles and I guess beachballs but if your boat sinks number one the chance of them keeping the boat in an upright attitude would be highly doubtful and under the pressures of sinking may burst.

If you dont want to foam a sealed compartment offers the same amount of flotation ability if not more. Air is lighter then foam.
    Where foam outweighs the benefit of a sealed compartment is if your boat's hull is breached the foam would displace any water trying to enter the hull.

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    :0a34: Let me tell you a little story about foam floation. This year Just a couple months ago ,Tinboat and I were fishing The Mississippi river our anchor rope caught the prop and we were goin down within seconds, Floatation foam and the Man upstairs is the only thing that saved us In my opinion. had the boat not had floatation in it, It would have definantly sunk to the bottom! The floatation Foam slowed the process just enough to give us time to react. Without it you would not be getting this message, So from me to you brother, LEAVE IT IN !!!!!!!!! Mac. :0a26:

17. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea just like everyone else is saying I would definately go with the foam, littlemac i had the same thing happen, we didnt take on water there was a little slack in the anchor rope so we were able to untie quickly but did lose an anchor, but for the foam, make sure you put it in!

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i have very little foam in my tracker now . When i rebuild it last spring the old foam under the flooring was so bad and wet it was in the trash. so no more Plywood now its 1/4 sheet alum and very little foam in it now . most of it is for sound so the dummy bass can't hear you coming anyhow. I also have a 16ft jon boat with livewell in both seats so there is very little foam in the seats and thats all thats in it and it came that way brand new.

19. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Boats can and do sink. I for one would not take people out in a boat with out flotation.It is a safety thing.Loss of a boat is not so bad , but loss of life is.

20. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    One thing to remember about "foam".
    It's just as much for water displacement as it is to floatation.
    If the cavity is filled with closed-cell foam, then the water can't be there too.