Fly's for bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by 07_hemi_thunderroad, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    what are your favorite fly's to caught the bluegill on?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havent fished with fly's for gills in years,Though I am trying my hand at flyrodding . I used to use flys behind spin bobbers and did real well with a black ant pattern.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my favorites for gills are small poppers in either chartruese, yellow or black. i have always been able to catch gills on these when the weather wars up and they move in areas around weedbeds or are shallow.

4. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    thanks for the input! i know that they love the little popper and they love them in black! i am going to have to try the yellow ones!

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Poppers are my number 2 choice. First, I would use any spider looking fly, one with those long rubber legs. Not often I fail with that one.

6. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK KUTTER POPPER AND BLACK THINGS WITH LEGS WELL LAND ALOT OF THEM!

7. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Try using just a piece of Berkley PowerBait Honeyworm or Wiggler in white.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mostly a combination of mosqitoes, black ants and poppers. Too many good one's to list really. I need to get busy and tie a bunch up for summer.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Poppers are my number 1 choice also sure seems to catch alot of them i also use black i used to have a rubber cricket that came out of a toy slim ball my grandson had busted open it was real looking and would catch lots of gills on flyrod with it .

10. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    what are some of the name of fly you use to look like a mosquitoes ?

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't know what Mike uses, but the ones I have are called mosquitoes.

I think I got them from "big Y fly" But most times I get my flys from "Little River Outfitters" on account of I know the folks who tie them.

12. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    DANZIG is it a site that you get them from if so can you sent it to me!

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes, they both have websites.

Unless you want to send me your email, you are going to search them. This board is finicky about posting adresses of other sites.

Big Y has the skeeters.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Black ants & gnats; I've probably caught as many gills over the years with them as anything, but nowadays I use micro-jigs alot.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had my best luck and most fun fly fishing for bluegills using top water spiders with long legs like Kutter said. I have personally had the best luck with the ones with yellow bodies and black legs. Your mileage may vary. I also have used poppers and black ants with success.

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i have started to use my flyrod to catch most of the gills i keep for bait. about any small popper or foam fly work great. i was out of flys on day last year and took some small pieces of yellow foam and tied a few rubber legs, pieces cut off a bass jig on a #10 hook and caught a bunch.
    chip

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If it's a warm day and they won't hit anything else, try the smallest black midge you can buy.

18. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love to get them with a popper but they rip them apart to fast so after 2-3 poppers I go to a Black Ant or most any Mige.Iv been Tying for 30yrs so Iv got an endless supply...........