Flying Lures

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by festus, Dec 2, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I kept forgetting to post this picture. We talked to this fellow who was striper fishing down at the dam about a month or so ago while we were catfishing. He drifted on downstream a ways, I didn't see it, but he got hit by a flying lure. Check the photo.

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    That's gonna leave a mark....:eek:oooh:

3. festus

festus New Member

It wasn't too bad, Joey. At least it got him in the scalp where it won't show so bad. What's so funny is he said when he walked in the emergency room, the nurse or receptionist at first glance just thought he was wearing some goofy fishing hat with an ornament. :smile2:

4. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Yeah, I guess it could have definitely been worse... That's funny about the nurse.....:smile2:

5. festus

festus New Member

I think he got a stitch or two. They probably gave him a tetanus shot, too. I've seen some cantankerous people down at the dam. Some of the folks on the bank are downright territorial, if a boat gets too close, they'll up and cast at them. If I had a boat, I'd stay in the middle of the river or next to the lock side. I've seen some folks down there who can cast all the way across the river.

However, this guy was hit by his buddy in the boat at short range.

6. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    I've got a buddy that is a little reckless with his casts. I've ducked a few times and everytime I think he's going to catch me with a hook. I hope he doesn't.....:eek:oooh:

7. festus

festus New Member

Yep, my girlfriend has one of those big old Zebco 808 spincasting reels. The pickup pin is very inconsistent and I call it "Ole Suicide."

8. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Let's just hope WE don't end up in the ER with a Lure hat or a new body piercing.....:eek:oooh:

9. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Maybe I should have clarified that one.... While it would be a new body piercing, it would also be my only one.... I've only got the holes that I was born with, and I'd like to keep it that way.....All the holes that have been accidentally poked have all healed up......:eek:oooh:

10. festus

festus New Member

I stuck a Gamakatsu treble hook in my left index finger, oh, about 20something years ago when making a homemade muskie plug. It wasn't very deep, I just pushed the hook around till the barb came out. Then I cut it off at the barb and pulled it out It didn't leave much of a scar at all, you can barely see it.

11. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    That had to hurt, :beat_brick::0a35:I'd say that got his attention:0a6:

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry to hear about the incident. Strange it just came outta nowhere.. :eek:oooh:

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Let me tell you my tale about the time I was hooked in the scalp by a hook..It had to be one of the worse fishing trips I've ever had..There was this guy (his name was Val) I worked with used to always talk smack about all the fish he caught over in St. Bernard Parish back home in Louisiana..So I said "let's go then"..So we planned a trip..Him and another guy that worked with us got up at 4 in the morning to get ready for the trip..We got the boat in the water and it started right up and we started heading up the canal..We didn't get far before the motor bogged down then died..He got it to run @ idle speed but everytime he would give it gas it would bog down and die..I said "maybe we should head back to the dock before we get to far." he said "Naw it'll start running good its just cold natured.." He kept trying to get it to go faster but it always did the same thing..Then the battery started to lose its charge and by then we were far from the dock..Then he didn't have a paddle in the boat so he used a net to paddle us to shore..So we have to wait so he can go get his brother to check the motor..So were waiting in the boat while he walks to his truck and goes gets his brother..Luckily his brother knew all about outboards and came prepared to get us going..It took 2 hrs but finally we got going..Val didn't know where to fish..He didn't know nothing..The wind was really bad too..Well we were fishing a spot and I kept hearing a wizz by my ears everytime he would cast..I said "hey man you need to watch throwing that thing"...This went on all day..I kept warning him..Then it happened..He must have been trying to throw that thing as far as he could cause it hit me in the head and darn near knocked me out..I said "I knew it was gonna happen.." The hook went through my cap and into my scalp..He was able to get the cap off and really after the initial shock it didn't hurt..He got a good look at it and he said it was bad..I said " just get it out.." he said "its gonna hurt" and I said "just get it out" and he got it out..I think I caught 3 fish that day a sheepshead and 2 hardhead cats(saltwater cat)..That trip really sucked..

14. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Looks like he ruined a perfectly good fishing hat...I'd be pissed. Good hats are hard to come by!

15. festus

festus New Member

Hey Les, something similar happened to us one time. We had only one paddle, and had to use a net to paddle with also.

What did Val stick you with? A lure or a baited hook?

16. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    OUCH!

17. festus

festus New Member

Here's another picture of the situation. No, it wasn't very serious, and the fellow who hooked him is paying the ER bill.

Let me warn anyone who hasn't been down there in a boat, especially in the springtime, WATCH OUT!! It's a pretty narrow channel. If there's striper fishermen over on the sidewalk throwing big jigs, you better stay on the lock side. There's a little wall right against the dam at a 90 degree angle on the left side. Stay to the left of the little wall near the corner. Somebody who can cast far enough can fish from the bank almost as effectively as a boat fishermen using artificials. The boat people have the advantage with live bait, however.

18. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    It was a 1/2 ounce jig hook..

19. festus

festus New Member

That's enough to do some major damage, no doubt.

20. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I remember him telling me "you can throw me overboard if you'd like,I darn well deserve it"..I didn't hold it against him though I never let him sucker me into a fishing trip again..