Flying fish -erman!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by critter68, Jun 24, 2009.

1. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Went out of Pohick Saturday night with Todd (Grappler) to try finding a few fish. Started out looking for a couple holes under old ramps but couldn't find the right one so we decided to try with the rods. Started to motor across the river and had to stop, back up and lift the motor to clean the grass off. Got on plane and started picking up speed when the boat hit a small wave, jarring the steering which had a bad spot in the gear. Boat jerked right at 30 miles an hour, fishing partner flew right off the boat! Fortunately got control quick enough to not hit him. Turned around to see...nothing! He was still underwater trying to catch his glasses. :crazy: got the boat turned around and pulled him back in, glasses and all. Didn't go very fast the rest of the night and he made sure to hold on! Took the boat to Harbin Marine Monday morning to replace old steering. Cold front took the bite out of the big cats, but a few small ones still bit. Nothing more exciting than the flying fisherman!

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Glad to hear everyone's ok. If that had been the winter, things could have been alot different.

Were you guys hand grabbing to start the day off?

3. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    We tried to find a spot to hand grab, but only tried 2 likely looking spots (with no hidey hole) before it got dark.

4. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    Yeah, i second that....definitely glad to hear that no one got hurt !!!

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Had to give you reps there, Jacob!

I had to laugh, but I'm sure it wasn't quite funny while everything was actually taking place. :wink:

I'm glad that everything turned out okay.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am a wuzz about running at night. The last time I fished at night on the James about 4-5 years ago they had a midnight Bass Tournament out of Osbourne Landing. The Bassholes in their Sparkle Boats blew by me at the Presquille Cut through doing 60 MPH or there abouts in the pitch black dark. Way faster than Grant took Richmond. I mean fellows,,,,, I do love Jesus,,,,,,, but I ain't in that big a hurry to meet him. I will see you during the daytime come December or so.

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I am so glad that things worked out for the good, too many possibilities that something bad could have came out of it. Fish on bro, and be safe!

8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    One more reason to wear the PFD and kill switch when running the boat. That could have been a deadly situation...I'm very happy you guys didn't get injured. At least you're in good hands...Harbin Marine has always treated me good.

Tight lines.

9. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    [QUOne more reason to wear the PFD and kill switch when running the boat. That could have been a deadly situation...I'm very happy you guys didn't get injured. At least you're in good hands...Harbin Marine has always treated me good.]
    Amen on that that!!

10. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Critter -
    I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this definitely ain't funny. I investigate boating accidents for a living. During the summer, someone DIES every week somewhere in the US because he was thrown out of his boat and wasn't wearing his kill switch. The outboard slams over to one side, and the boat circles back and runs over the (former) operator. And keeps circling. If it doesn't hit you the first time it usually has several more chances. If you leave the boat unexpectedly, and the boat keeps running, odds are you're gonna DIE. Your friend should be VERY thankful that you stayed on board.

Clip on your kill switch lanyard. Every time.

Steve, aka Knox Marine Consultants
    Investigating boat accidents since 1987

11. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Steve, you are right. I don't mean to make light of the situation. I can only laugh now that I know everyone is OK. Believe me we were definately not laughing when it happened. I wear my PFD whenever I get on the boat. I have one of the auto inflators. It is not too bulky and I can wear it as religiously as the seatbelt in my car. It is a good habit to get into, just because you can never predict what might happen on the river.