Flying Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by GrainDrain, Feb 13, 2006.

1. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Any one ever seen one of those carp that fly out of the water? Or even better anyone ever been hit by one?

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yes, I've seen those carp flying out of the water!!! I read somewhere, that the reason that they do it, is to clean out their gills. When they root around on the bottom, they kick up a lot of mud, this gets in their gills. By swimming violently towards the surface, they wash the mud out of their gills.

3. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Dont Know About The Mudd But I Have Had Them Hit My Boat And Prop. A Pitch Black Night On The Misssissippi River That Can Scare The CARP Out Of You.

4. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Seems like when I seeum jumping out of the water is when I am drifting down the river and start my engine and I think it startles them. Them carp are crazy sometimes!:)

5. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i think the sound of the motor is what causes them to jump out of the water i have never been hit with one but i will tell a story about my mom. my brother and i took my mom to the mississippi river last year it was her first trip out on the river. we went and got bait. we had her use the cast net once, she forgot to hold on to the other end and i went in the water after it but anyway we fished for a couple hours caught a few gar a little flattie and a turtle she was getting bored so we went on a boat ride started doing circles behind a rock dike the carp started jumping like crazy. i was in the middle of the boat they were in the back out of the corner of my eye i see a fish in the air and my brother basiclly headbutted the thing in mid air, he tried to hit it with his arm but missed. he stopped looked at mom and told her to pay attention you almost got the crap knocked out of you she laughed and asked if they ever land in the boat we both laughed and started the cicle pattern again when two 20 plus fish jumped right in the boat one on the deck and one went sliden down the floor sticking her in the leg we stopped she was laughing so hard i thought she was going to pass out finally she wiped alittle blood from her leg and said lets go home but she loved it and wants to go back

6. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    From what I've been reading the sound of the motors, especially 2-strokes, drives em crazy and they start jumping. Even someone stomping on the floor of an aluminum hull will make them jump. I haven't heard of them being up in my neck of the woods on the Missouri yet, but they're on their way from what I'm reading.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I bet those carp can hurt if hit by one!!:confused: :confused:

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had one jump into my lap last summer. They are extremely slimey, and bleed very easily. They flop wildly. I had a friend who was running his nets, and we believe he was knocked out of his boat and unconcious, and he drowned. So you need to be careful they get up to 100 lbs, and can cause a lot of damage.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I read in an outdoor magizine that if you get your hands on a flying carp, or one comes into your boat, kill um. All they do is eat off all the other species of fish. So stop them if you get one.

10. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    yeah they really can jump!! I hit one on my wave runner one time it was crazy. say away from those crazy guys when there jumpin

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i know there are certain species of carp that jump but ive seen the sommon carp jump clear out of water. i havnt noticed anything connecting the jumping and motors but i could see it being very dangerous. let me go find a video of some small kind of fish going crazy and hundreds jumping out of the water.

12. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Here's some great info from the USGS.
    Asian_carp-2-2004.pdf
    Check out that side sonar image kind of scary with these guys destroying the fishieries.

13. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    I saw that video, they were electroshocking a small backwater cove on the Mississippi. Looks mostly like shad, but there were some big ones in there too.

14. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I have had quite a few in the 4-5 range jump into the boat as well as numerous ones glance off side and motor. Here is a pic of two (about 15# each)that came in within about 10 seconds of each other. My wife was with me and was actually laying down in bottom of boat and here comes the first one. She sat up with her eyes about as big as baseballs and here comes #2. If we had regular size fishing poles laying in bottom instead of our catfish rods I believe there would have been a good chance of them breaking some of them. They also slimmed the boat bottom bad. I have been thinking about taking a shotgun and shooting a few like skeet. I have "pulled" on a couple in duck season and had time to shoot just didn't want to waste those expensive 3 1/2" shells. They will scare the crap out of you when they leap up right beside you and get higher than your head when you are sitting down in the boat. It seems like a two stroke motor freaks them worse than a four stroke. We actually saw some a few weeks ago trying to jump over a dike that was just at the water level. Looked like a salmon migration going on.

Attached Files:

15. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    couple days ago i seen those flying carp on cable they were catching them with nets i think studying them or something, they said they were silver carp or big head carp and in the video one jumped in the boat and snacked the guy in the chest when he sat down, they say they weigh 100+. i think that was the first time i ever seen carp fishing on tv

16. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    There are two types the Bighead and Silver. The Silvers are the ones that do the jumping. THey eat the same thing as shad and have no stomach so the are constanly feeding. The problem lies is that the are competeing with shad for the same food source. After awhile all the sahd will be gone along with the catfish that feed on them. I have had many of them jump in my boat. They usually hang out in the first four feet or so of the water column. Look for shad and more than likely you will also find the Silver and Bighead.

17. bootr1

bootr1 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    they make good cut bait for blues iv been told