Flyfishing Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by BowieKnife357, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There are a ton of gar in one of the spillways I fish out in eastern Kansas, especially when the water is a little low. I've caught several on jigs while going after other species. I'm thinking about trying to catch a few this year on a flyrod, yall have any tips on that?

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used to know a fella who used a flyrod to catch catfish . He loved it . Im sure it would be a great fight . I usually bow hunt gar and carp .

3. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love catching bass topwater with a popper on a flyrod, good five pound bass will put up a heck of a fight. Figured I'd step it up and try for something a little bigger. I've heard of catching catfish and carp on a flyrod, just never tried it. Bet it would be a good time though.

4. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have been trying to catch a gar on fly-rod for a few years and did hook up with one didn't land it but it was truly a fight some more fun.:smile2:

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Have lots of backing on your reel if there is a lot of area they can run in. I have tried it but never caught anything big. So my Grandfather catch a 12 lb flathead on a fly when he was fishing for bass, it was a big fight. Took him about 15 min. to get him to the boat.