FlyFishing for Sharks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Dmitri, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know if anyone else caught this on the outdoor channel but it was AMAZING! Two guys out in the ocean were fishing for sharks...using 8 foot and 9 foot fly rods, with fly line and I guess they were using wire leader with some pretty large flies that had trailers of soft soft red plastic and big red feathers to make it look like a trail of blood. They said many fish like that will be picky if you are just casting flies out there like that and of course probably won't eat them unless you drop some injured fish or blood in the water to get them in a frenzy and then cast out and make your fly look like a small injured fish or bleeding piece of flesh. It was really interesting and even cooler when they fought and fought then pulled in 200+ pound sharks. Of course once they got near they stuck out some big pliers and just pulled the fly loose to let the shark go, but it was great to watch.

2. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Yeah, I think I saw the same thing. I think that was Mark Sosin's (spelling) Salt Water Journal (or something along those lines).

Fly fishing is a blast. I have done it since I was 14 years old or so. But, the biggest thing I ever (almost) caught was about a 24 to 28 inch brown trout that I played for about 15 to 20 minutes, got him to the bank, got to see him, and then my 2 and 1/2 pound tippet finally broke, due to teeth wear. I was fishing heavy (fast) water (tail waters while they were generating) when I hooked him. It was quite a fight in the foggy conditions at nightfall.

3. Urban Fly Fisher

Urban Fly Fisher New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There was a cat, I think Conway Bowman, profiled in Field and Stream recently (December 2005???) who targets Mako sharks with a fly rod off the coast of Southern California. Apparently he chums a known area where Makos frequent, which obviously draw them in. Using 14 weight rods, he present big, red streamer flies to the shark(s). Aroused by the smell of blood in the water, it seems the Makos strike flies out of pure aggression rather than actual hunger. Though Makos don't attain the awesome size seen in the Great White species, they are just as aggressive, which can make for a potentially dangerous situation. In one instance, Bowman decided to fight a 14 foot Mako in his 12 foot kayak. The raw pulling power and "athletic abilities" of a fish that large is simply surreal, even more so amplified on a 14 weight long rod. Not surprisingly, after fighting the fish for a while, he deemed the situation too dangerous to continue from the kayak. One wrong move or mistake could result in a lost appendage or something even worse. Sounds exciting, eh?

Bowman does offer guided trip fly trips for Makos. I think the going rate is about $700 for the day, which isn't bad considering how small boat saltwater trips can cost over a grand a day. He has a nice website at http://www.bowmanbluewater.com/info.aspx

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Much of the off shore "fly fishing" for sharks and sport fish does not involve fly casting. Its using a 12 or larger weight rod to troll basically a lure...couldn't cast the thing anyway, for the fish. To me, that's catching with a fly rod, not fly fishing. Lee Wulf and others who pioneered fly fishing off shore actually tried to cast to fish. One of the best to cast to is the tarpon. Dolphin fish and some of the smaller fish that will take a fly are fun also.

As for Bowman's prices, no, they are not bad. Along the Texas Gulf Coast, inshore fishing guides charge $300 and up for a half-day of fishing

5. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    i seen that,, they caught a lemon shark with a fly rod,, it was amazing,, sign me up,, ill have to get a stronger reel and line

6. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    No trolling, what I saw was chumming then using flies with red streamers and like the above post said, using them to get the sharks to attack from aggression/feeding frenzy.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Were they casting? If not, then its still just using a fly rod to catch fish with, not fly fishing. You can do the same with a salt water rig.

8. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They were definately fly-casting with a fly-rod.