Flyfishing for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by P. nasuta, Nov 15, 2006.

1. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is targetting blue cats with my flyrod. During the fall and winter threadfin shad school up on a large mud flat/channel that leads to an old oxbow lake on my local river. The large mouth and spotted bass, and white bass (bar fish) go into crazy feeding on the shad. Several years ago while flyfishing for white bass I allowed my streamer to sink several feet below the surface, after a couple of twiches I had a take and hooked up a heavy fish. After a short fight I landed a 3 pound blue. It was certainly not a lunker but a nice fight on a flyrod. Well, my first thought was "what a fluke." After landing four more between 1 1/2 and 3 pound I decided that this was not a fluke and the blues must be on the flat feeding on shad with the bass. Since then I have caught many blues on my flyrod, the largest being about 5 pounds. I was wondering if anyone else has flyfished for catfish?

Take Care,
    John

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes ! catfish on a fly rod is great fun !

I love to fly fish for channels cats - that's the only kind we have out here. I have tied up a few flies specifically for them. Streamers, leech/bugger patterns, and large nymphs(I use my hound's shedded fur for the dubbing on the body).

Don't tell any of your friend that are serious and dedicated pocket lint launchers this, but, I've even sweetened flies with tiny pieces of cut bait, crawler, or leech for the aroma factor - just to get the catfishes attention when they are in a neutral or negative mood.

I discovered cat fly fishing while targeting carp one day. I was using a 9 foot 5 weight with a 4X tippet and dropping a dragon fly nymph (one made of hound hair) at the edge of the cattails and rushes in about 2 foot of water.

The carp were rafting on the surface and tailing up muddy water while feeding. I was trying to be sneaky and tossing my line way beyond them so I could strip my nymph slowly past them and entice one to take it.

Before I reached the little raft of carp, my line stopped and went the other direction. At first I thought it was just a lonely carp, but then it went down deep into a hole instead of in a straight line. I knew it was a catfish when it did that. It was only a 3 pounder, but, I've been hooked ever since.

Channels are not the easiest target on a fly rod, but for me it is one of the most rewarding.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes, I have an article in the Library somewhere called Flyfishing for cats, it relates to a local pattern we found where the channels feed heavily ont he Carp eggs when the carp are spawning, its a great pattern for about 5 weeks in may and June and happens right below soem local roller dams. Check it out and let me know if you can not locate it.

Salmonid

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
  5. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I caught a channel on a black wooley bugger once while smallmouth fishing. I was paying more attention to an eagle than my fishing and let the fly drop down into a hole in the river. I started stripping in the fly slowly after it had laid on the bottom for a few seconds when it hit. It didn't weigh but a couple lbs, but it was fun on a 6 weight.

I have read a couple articles about targeting cats on a fly, but I've never done so.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i went to the archive and couldnt find it. can you repost it?

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
  8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard u can catch em on a fly rod, but I have never try it.

9. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Thanx Salmonid !

Great article.

10. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good Article Salmonid.

I usually have the most success on white or grey buggers or clousers when the cats are feeding on shad. However, I have caught them on brown, black, and olive buggers at other times. They are a blast on the flyrod.

Take Care,