Fly with the Fishes

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KBSJayhawk, Dec 20, 2007.

1. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A little animation we (the ASTRA program at the Kansas Biological Survey) worked up, using bathymetric data and fish data collected from the same system. Each fish is placed at the correct location and depth at which it was detected; and we're working on varying the size of the fish based on the acoustic size.

Pretty crude still (we're still learning), but no reason why bottom type maps couldn't be added as well, or even aquatic vegetation data too.

View it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G95O7qP-Sss

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is pretty sweet!

When I was little, one of the "magical powers" I used to wish for while I was sitting there fishing was to be able to take a stretch of water or river and instantly dry it up, long enough to see exactly what was in the water, where it was, and how big. Then be able to fill the water equally as instant, to not even disturb the fish.

It would appear the technology to do the next best thing is just around the corner............relatively speaking.:big_smile:

3. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's essentially what we're doing with the echosounder data and visualization....."virtual fish"....see where they are, where they're congregating, what different fish sizes are at different depths.

Also continuing our program of lake depth mapping, with a dozen new Kansas lakes to be mapped in the coming year !

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, that was really great, enjoyed it, and all the other films, specially the robot fish. I did notice one thing wrong with the one you posted, NO WHISKERS on any of the fish:wink::smile2:.
    I'm looking forward to one of those maps being made of Milford Lake!
    Thanks again.

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx Mark--Looking forward to the sequel.