Fly Tying Vices

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by dwreel, Aug 27, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Does anybody here use the Griffin line of vices.? I need to upgrade and am looking for input from the members as to what vice you use and any pros or cons you might have about it. Hopefully, I will be able to get something under $200.

Appreciate anything you folks can send my way.
    Thanks, dick.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i dont use a griffin but

heck for 220 u could get a top of the line regal with a bronze pedastal base and its one heck of a vise

or i think peak vises are pretty well made

or maybe a dyna king(i think they have a lower priced model that i have considered buying)

hope this helps

Jeff

3. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Renzetti Apprentice vise. It is a well made vise, but I don't know how much it costs.

4. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    No, have never had or tried a Griffin vise. I have tried a couple of other vises (like Thompson) many years ago. But, back in the early 80's I bought a Regal and my search for a strong, long lasting vise (where the jaws did not wear out) ended. I don't even look at vises anymore, so I don't know what all is available. The Regal is all I will ever want or need. It has stood the test of time for me.

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks for the replies, i'm still trying to narrow it down. And not necessarily a Griffin and may end up spending $225. Appreciate the help.

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I have been tying for 20yrs and I have used about five differante vices. I started with a 50$ thompson vice and I still like I just fine .It clamped to a table and I did not like that so I mounted it on a steel plate . works great .
    If your just starting out ,you may find that in a year or so it gets boring so start slow .spend your money on good bobbins ,the size you need for the stuff you want to tie and take a tying class it's worth your time and funn .
    also you can meet some new fishing buddys with about the same experiance as your self and learn together . I had a ball doing that .
    be well CRMULE

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks crmule. That is good advice. I've got too much stuff around the house right now because I got interested in something and went out and bought a bunch of stuff, only to get bored with it later and quit.

I hope you didn't lose anything to the last hurricane. All we got was an inch or so of rain and a little wind that just knocked a bunch of pine needles off the trees. We have been lucky in this area.

dick.

8. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    All I lost was my trees one massive oak that fell It shaded my whole house and missed it and only hit the patio and picnic table . got lucky I guess
    be well CR MULE
    PS I have a place in Dillsboro NC ,Been known to drag a brown or two out of the tuskakeegee river.

9. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    Renzetti traveler for the money hands down, or at least a rotary vise from griffin or other. I've used a number of different vises but true rotary is the way to go for winding hackels period. I have not used the rotary griffins (spider and oddesey I believe?) but I'm sure they would work just fine for the money. If your going to spend in the 200 range my vote is still the renzetti traveler.

10. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    A while back I got a couple of boxes of fly tying equipment. I got everything but the vice. I started looking around for a vice right after I got all this fly material. I didn't know that a vice cost so much. To me it's ridiculous that a fly tying vice would cost over $200.

I can buy a lot of flies for $200. I can also make whatever style vice I want a whole lot cheeper.

That's the fun of being a machinist for over 35 years and having the tools to make what ya want. lol

Jesse

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree with the regal vise , I own one it does everything from streamers to
    small midges. Mine is a clamp down model I think I paid $125.00

12. psdisme

psdisme New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a Renzetti Traveler that is a fine vice. The Regals have a very convenient spring loaded set of jaws that make for easy adjustments and speed things up if you are tying a large quantity of flies. Just my .02 worth.:big_smile: