Fly Rodding for Flathead catfish - Has anyone ever tried this?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Salmonid, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious if any of you guys have any experience catching flatheads with flies? Ive seen a handful of responses from fly rod users ( on here) and Its on my list to do this year, I have 2 places to try that are filled with lots of 5-15 lb fish and not that deep, I plan to throw large shad patterns and see if I can get one to add to my Life List for the Fly Rod,
    Leave it to us crazy trout guys to try to catch everything that swims with a fly rod...:rolleyes:

Im open to all suggestions and ideas on making this happen.

And, Yes, I am serious...

Salmonid

2. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    hey mark i've caught a few channels on a fly but never a flathead. I'm kinda skeptical that it could be done but anything is worth a try and if you find a pattern if you dont mind could you send me a pic and recipe cause id like to give it a try.
    If your wantin to try to catch channels lemme know and ill send some pics of flys or mabey some flies it self. Catfish are a lot of fun on my 5wt rod.
    Also if you cant find any replies for flatheads then give www.flyanglersonline.com either on a article search or join the forum.

zac

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man are you askin for it! i caught a 23lb fish once at a ******* on an uncle bucks crappie rod, similar to a fly rod, but it had nowhwere to go either. took me an hour and a half to get him in. i also used to own an eagle claw noodle rod about 10 ft long i used for panfish and got bored and wadded 3 leaches on a jighead trying to catch a saugeye in the river, a 10 lb flat took it. i got it in but i broke the rod in the process. i can be done, i figure you,d have a better chance getting in a 10lb flat over a 10lb carp, carp pull much harder and wont give up.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It never ceases to amaze me at how adventurous some folks will get when fishing:eek: !!!
    I would call that an extreme sport to say the least!!!:cool:

GOOD LUCK, BROTHER!!!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never tried it, but I've heard of several people flyfishing for channels along riprap & rock bluffs in the spring.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Salmonid,
    You need to get a hold of Jim (Gator) Hudson. If you want a flyrod that will hold up to one of these brutes, he is the man you need to build you one. He is on of our proud sponsers listed to the right of the page(Gator Custom Rods). I have seen his rods up close and I can honestly tell you these are works of art. He takes great pains in customer satisfaction.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, thanks for the support! Every year I take at least a dozen Channels here on the Great Miami with my fly rod when I m targeting Carp. I have an article published on www.flyfishohio.com that references the great Egg Hatch that the Cats are feasting on in the months of May and June. I typically get them with Hellgramite, Copper Johns, Egg Patterns and Olive Wolley Buggers for those that care. Mostly the smaller guys like 2-4 lbs. But real fun on a medium weight fly rod. ( Like a 5 or 6 wt)

For those that do not know, Fly rods are rated in how heavy they are by a number, so a 1 wt rod is very ultralight and a 10 wt is something you fish for Tarpon with, a 5 wt is a medium action, for example.

As far as rods go, I got way more fly rods then I know what to do with, Dont tell the wife....:eek: But I have Ultra lites ( 1 wt) all the way up through extra heavy rods ( 9 wt) that I use to fish for 25-30 lb salmon so Im sure the rod will hold up, its casting that heavy thing all evening that wears you out, its like swinging a 2x4 that is 9 ft long around, yeah, you get the idea, your already wore out before you even hook into anything.

The rig will be the 9 ft long 9 weight rod, an Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill reel with a full 300 grain sink tip on it, probably use a mono 20 lb test leader about 6 ft long with a 3/0 shad fly on it. One of the flys Im looking at is about as real looking as a 3.5 " shad can look. just doesnt taste or smell like a shad. Ill see if I can find the pattern and post its picture.

The plan is to hit a long pool that is bordered by large concrete slabs along the outside bend. This pool is only about 5 ft deep and my buddy who works for the state ( Electrofishing) confirmed the pool is loaded with 5-15 lb fish. Its the heaviest population he ever has shocked in 1 pool anywhere in Ohio for the last 15 years so I think I got a good shot at it there. Mellon has been sworn to secrecy on this spot and will be my official BOC Witness, net man and camera boy As he is the expert in those 3 duties after fishing with Flathunter;)

Im hoping to do this in Late May, water depending, I wanted to do this trip last year but never made it out with my traveling work schedule. This year it will happen, 1 of my buddy's has taken several Flatheads with the flyrod and Im so jealous I can t see straight. He just lucks into them carp and smallie fishing, Me on the other hand want to actually target them. Every fish has a way to taken by fly rod and artificial, you just have to be at the right spot and place with the right equipment and gear. Thats the plan, Im on a mission.....

Salmonid

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

Bring that sucker to the Sciot this May. While Flathunter & I are sitting back relazing you can give the Fly rod a shot. There are lots of Gar, so you wont be bored!

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Salmonid,

I've had the same crazy idea...although I don't have the proper flyrod - only a 5-6 wt. On the river I fish, there often seems to be alot of activity after dark along the shore. I'm assuming all the racket is a flattie or two bustin' the surface trying to get a snack. I was thinking of using something (?big deer hair popper?) on the surface that would make some noise & commotion.

10. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I have heard of catching channels in this way. But, there is no way that I am trying to catch flattys on a fly reel. No way.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sangamon, Your not afraid of some little ole catfish are you?:p

I sensed a tremble in your written voice as you wrote that;)

Salmonid

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i think it could be done brother. i would tie a fly with a rattle and then wipe gill slime on it before the casting begins. lol

hey mark do you have an auglaze trout on your list of catches?

13. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i once caught a 5-8 pound channel on a cane pole when i was real young, that was cool but a flat on a fly rod, man that would be something and probably addicting

14. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Definitely, I have lost fish to 60# braided line with huge baitcast reels and ugly sticks. I don't think I would risk it.

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Riverscum, No I dont think I have ever heard of an Auglaze trout, Please elaborate...
    I havent counted in a while but Im somewheres around 40 species with the fly rod and always looking for something new:rolleyes:

Salmonid

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

it can be done, during the summer for about a month the river will be just full of may flies,i had observed cats feeding on them off the top of the water . i tried all day to get one but one luck on reg. tackle. so i toold my buddy and he got is flyrod and some may flies... flies and we went to work biggest being 25 lb. flatheads and a hole stringer of channles.somtimes you just have to be flexable when catfishing to cacth any

17. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yes, I have caught a flattie on a flyrod!!!! My grandparent's dentist has a large pond that he keeps stocked with bass, catfish, and bluegill. It is a private pond that is almost exclusively fished with a flyrod. I was fishing a crawfish immitating streamer. The flatty wasn't "huge," just over 4 lbs. Took me about 10 min. to land it though. Hope this helps!

18. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    sounds like an awsome idea if it works

19. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    That would be one crazy fight!! To say the least! I couldn't imagine flyrodding for flats! It would be almost impossible to land one over twenty pounds, not unless you were using ocean flyrods.lol Good Luck with that one! The cheapest ocean flyrod I've seen is $1,000. :sad: That would hurt the ol pocket book.

20. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Using a fly rod is fun, but NOT logical, unless you use a "salmon" rod. I fish for crappie in the Pomme arms of Truman Lake using an eight ft. fly rod and I regularly hook blues and flat heads. Like I said, lot of fun but NOT real productive. Make your tippets from 8lb. Stren, the "green" stuff. Any rod rated #7 - 8 will work, any bigger and you might as well use "standard equipment," the tippet is the key. Learn what weight tippet your rod will cast with the ""lure"" you are using and it's all fun from there. Rapala makes some "very" small "shad" type lures that work.

Low-Vis Green, Stren is what I use because it seems "softer" than Trilene in the same weight. Experiment!

Fishing a "flowing" stream or river will be alot different than where I fish. Experiment!:)