Fly Rod set up

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by paleocaver, Jul 10, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I use a fly rod to catch bait and creek fish when it's hot. I just got a 4 wt. rod and loaded the backing and line but wonder about the rest of the setup. In the past I used the no-knot eyelets on the fly line to tie the leader to. Is there any advantage to using a nail-knot (which is a SOB for me to tie) or a loop to loop connection? Also, I usually use a leader from ordinary fishing line and no tippett. Again is there an advantage to using a tapered leader followed by a tippet? I seem to cast well using my eyelet/fishing line for leader setup and it's cheap. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i dont know about the leader.. but i use a tapered leader and 4lb tipped..... they say it gives it a better turnover...(for lighter flys i reckon)

but mine came pretied and i think it is a nail knot and it held up.... but i dont know about the eylet things... never tried them

hope this helps....( BTW i am not a welth of info on flyfishing lol but i know some stuff about it)

but heck if it is working for u keep on using it...
    but the next leader i am gonna buy is a furled nylon leader.... for a few reasons

Jeff

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK,forget the nail knot ,just to complicated.I lived and fished in the west for 20 years so I had a flyrod in hand all the time.I would be real willing to kiss the guy that invented the UNI-Knot.That eliminated the nail knot forever as far as tieing leader to flyline and is a great line to line connector also.The eyelet thing will fail anytime you get a big fish but not a problem if you are just catching bait.It will also sink that end and pull your leader under,water gets in the flyline etc etc.Tapered leaders will roll over far better than just a hunk of mono but again it doesn't sound like you are trying to present size 20 Blue Duns so it might not make a dif to you.I would use one in any case but that is up to you.Buy a few from Orvis ,Cabelas etc and as you use up the fly end you can always tie on some mono for your tippet because you know the UNI Knot!!!!!:eek:oooh: :smile2: Best knoe ever invented and I use it for all my fishing applications.:smile2:

4. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Paleocaver,

If it's working don't change, but you asked so you shall receive.

I do believe there are several advantages to the nail-knot over the no-knot eyelet. It's stronger, and it doesn't allow the connection to hinge as the line is rolling over.

As for the leader - straight vs tapered. The tapered leader allow the fly/bug to land softer on the water so as not to spook the fish, as well as creating a less visible connection but still turn the fly over at the end of the cast.

We are possibley talking bluegill, so I really don't thing a change is absolutely necessary.

Hope it helps

Bo

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    personally i use the loop to loop connection.....idk why i do its just the setup my uncle gave me when i first started so i've always stuck with it

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Jim,

I have used the nail knot for over 30 years and never found it to be that complicated to tie. And, it has been my knot of choice when tying a leader to a fly line. I tried tying loops in the end of fly lines and then using a perfection loop in the leader, to have a loop to loop connection. But, I never liked the big "glob" at the end of the fly line.

I have also used the slip on braided loops (japanese handcuff, so to speak, loops) that attach to the end of the fly line and have had them come off while fighting a fish (had that happen just last week, while catching some blue gill for bait).

Now, with all the above said, I would like to know more about this Uni Knot for attaching the leader to the fly line. I have heard of the Uni Knot and think I have seen some things about how to tie one for attaching a lure to a line. But, I don't think I have ever seen anything about how to use it to tie a leader to a fly line.

If you know of a link, please let me know. So, I can check it out and see/try one. I'm always willing to try something new, if it proves to be superior to what I have been doing/using.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. Probably better to PM me, if you want. Since, I may forget what section I made this reply/post in and won't be able to find it again.

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Thanks for ther replies guys. I tried the uni-knot and didn't like the wad of knot at that spot so I used my tried and trusty no-knot eyelet. Having read the concern that it would pull out with a big fish, I grabbed the leader after tying it on an pulled like mad. All I did was break the leader. The eyelet held.
    Gonna get a tapered leader and give that a whirl, see if it makes life any easier. The hotter it gets here in Alabama, the more I head for small shady streams for fishing, so my fly rod will get a good bit of use soon.