Fly reel selection help needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by FordTruckGuySTX, Jul 10, 2007.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I am getting an Ugly Stik flyrod, 7 weight line. I am going after trout and maybe whatever I can get. I haven't fly fished in a long long time and I don't know who makes reels right off. Only reels I use are Abu Garcia and I doubt they have a fly reel. I'd prefer to keep cost around $50 if possible but does anyone have suggestions for this price range? I just want something to match the ugly stiks dependability.

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Matt I haven't bought a flyreel in in your life time +10 but I still have the very frist fly rod I bought 40 years ago and I bet I've wore out 10 reels on it not counting ones I wore out on other rods I've owned.Flyreels?? there is one thing I found about them,the auto reels won't hold up and ain't worth what you have to pay for them so buy the best hand cranked one you can afford and have fun.

3. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Matt,

I have a number of flyreels, some high dollar and some low dollar. A reel I like is the Cabelas Prestige reel. I think they are closing out this model and going with the Prestige Plus. The Prestige is on sale for about $30.00, the Prestige Plus is about $50.00.

Take Care

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, I think you would be happy with any of the Cabela's line of fly reels. John is right, the Prestige is a good reel for the money. I bought their CSR this last spring and even though I haven't put it to much of a test, I think I will like it just fine. As Jim said, stay away from the automatic reels, their day has long been gone. I have two stored away for the last 30 years, might be worth something some day, but right now they are junk as far as I'm concerned.
    Most folks that fly fish eventually buy many reels and rods. As time goes on, you may too want to upgrade. I have found that sometimes buying the top of the line is a mistake. You may tire of the sport before using it enough to justify the cost. This is especially true with fly reels. Although not everyone agrees, many of the experts still say a fly reel is just there to hold line, buy cheap as you can to get by.

5. Urban Fly Fisher

Urban Fly Fisher New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Unless you are chasing fish that make sustained, powerful runs, there isn't a need to invest in high priced fly reels. A single action drag, such as found on Pfluger's Medalist series, will be fine. Simple in design, but durable. Price range will be anywhere from $24 to $42, depending on model and line weight capacity. It's all you'll need for panfish, bass, and most trout.

Like Cutter said, fly reels are generally line holders. During a normal day of fly fishing, you'll hardly use the reel at all. It's all line and rod...and just stripping line in when you get a fish on.

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Go with the old stand by try a Martin reel with a palm drag .
    I have used them on everything from Bream to redfish
    Remember all a fly reel does is hold the string.all those fancy drags are a pain and something else to screw up
    Get extra spools to change line . I use three one for floating ,one for sinking and one with line two sizes bigger than the rod size for windy days
    have fun
    mule

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Talking about Cabela's reels and discontinueing a model...The average company won't keep parts for discontinued reels but 5 years...I would go with the Plus with the extra money...It might save you some grief later on with the "parts" thing...Or at least check and see if the parts are interchangeable between the two.....Dwight

8. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I absolutely agree with the previous posts about Cabelas' fly reels. I use both the CSR and Prestige Plus and haven't had any problems with either. Both are mid-arbor styles that speed up retrieves and reduce some coiling. The CSR drag knob is larger and easier to adjust, but the Prestige Plus isn't that bad. Both allow for quick spool changes whenever you need to switch from floating to sinking lines.
    I do some part time guiding and a 7-wt is a lot of rod for most trout. This may cause you some casting problems, especially with smaller nymphs, midges, or dry flies when a delicate presentation is needed. But, a 7-wt works great for bigger and heavier streamers for smallmouth bass, or for stronger fish like stripers and carp. Don't laugh, they don't call carp "the poor man's bonefish" for nothing. They are a blast on a fly rod. I've even caught some smaller flatheads when throwing Clauser Minnows for smallmouth. That's a fun surprise.
    Didn't mean to ramble. Hope this helps.

Mike

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i swear by okuma ive caught salmon bass trout and almost every other fish they have in utah or alaska. they have a 1 year warrenty on all there reels.

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have an ugly stick 10 weight i use for steelhead and salmon and I use a Martin 51. It's heavy duty.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I didnt know ugly stick mad a fly rod. Thanks members.