Fly Pattern - Muddler Minnow - Improved

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by DaveHufford, Feb 16, 2007.

1. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have found this modification to increase the hits on the standard pattern, the Muddler Minnow. Please see the attached picture. I have experienced an increase of at least 30% of hits, fishing for trout, with this pattern. The addition of a few strands of "flashabeau" in the body of the muddler, makes it look much more like real food. The muddler minnow, as I understand it, was meant to mimmick sculpins-darters. Sculpins have a nice irridescence if viewed out of the water. The flashabeau, shiny irridescent mylar strands, mimmicks the darter shine.

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never flyfished in my life till last summer .Im wetting my feet on bluegills and such .

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    looks real good, never used muddlers fro trout, i mostly stay with small nymps and small scuds and such but ill give it a try with the smallmouth this summer. i always thought myself that most muddlers were to dull but they work so i never questioned them. love to see new things, thanks man

4. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    You need to take a look at Jack Dennis's marabou muddlers. Same philosiphy, except he uses colors like yellow and black and brown to mimic the color of a sculpin. The marabou also imparts a very lifelike actin with an agressive strip-pause retrieve oritalmost breathes on its own by simply casting quarting downstream and letting the fly dead drift.

dru

5. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanks for the info on the marabou muddler. Marabou is one of those material that just adds life to a fly when it is pulsed a little bit. Flashabeau adds that light effect of florescence that fish have. I've come to the experience that I tend to add a few strands of it to about any pattern I tie. The fish like it.

6. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I agree about adding it to everything. I lay it down the sides of my buggers from the head back abd hold it there when i wrap my hackle forward. the excess is cut to tail length. I will sometimes even tie a rib or too onto a San juan worm whenn the fish are extra finiky

dru

ps.. have to share some patterns some ttimwe

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the tip

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When tying flies, you are only limited by your imagination. Thanks for the tip.

9. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    those look awsome DH, i flyfish a canal here and those browns/R.T. love that
    muddlers . i'll give you my adress later so you can send me some for this spring ( LOL ):wink: