Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bmaultbay, Jun 25, 2006.

1. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Looking at possibly attempting fly fishing. I have couple questions. As a beginner are you better off with the shorter or longer poles, a light or heavier line. Would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Longer rod~ 9'+ and try a 5-6 wt. weight forward/ high float untill you get the hang of the cast. It's not hard just use common sense and you'll love it! Here is a few good links for help in casting. Oh yeah, best wishes, and if your ever in Central PA. give me a ring I have some great spots!
    www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tstyles.shtml
    www.stcroixrods.com

3. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    All you have to do is ask. I will let you borrow mine to try it out.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That "casting styles" page is really cool! Thanks for the link!

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    thats a good link i was personally thinking about trying fly fishing.

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Depends on where and how you will be fishing and what you will be fishing for etc etc.

However, normally speaking, a good, versatile "all round" rod would be between 8 and 9 feet and rated for a 7 weight line.

7. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Like he said.. Depends on what yer fishing for.. My favorite rod for trout is a Scott 9 footer with a 5 or 6 weight line. For fishing small creeks with overhangs, I'll go to an old Cortland 7 footer (e-glass) with the same line(s).:cool2:

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i just got my st.croix premier combo and i love it, i can cast so much farther with it, its great

also flyfishing is a lot of fun cause it makes a small fish seem like a big one
    fun fighting gills and i wanna hook onto a bass that would be fun
    i have even cought a catfish before on a flyrod, which thats what stripped part of the gear in my reel which is why i bought a new pole....

but that pole i got is a 5wt

but it just depends on what ur fishin for

but as said before a 7 or 8 wt with WF(weight forward)line is a good all around set up

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    For learning, cast a 6-7 weight foward line on a 8'6-9ft rod. Will make learning to get the feel for casting the easiest. Don't get too frustrated! Its kinda like a golf swing it takes practice practice practice. The best way to go is to either get some instruction to learn the basics or find a friend who knows what they are doing. This will help cut down the learning time and the frustration.:lol: Cabelas is a good cheap place to find a complete combo.
    good luck!

10. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks for all the help. As soon as I return home from Alabama I intend to start shopping around. Probably nothing fancy at first, got to see if I am going to like it, more like catch on. Once again thanks.:big_smile: